Help

jess51483

Ok I have another problem that I need to double check with someone. Ok here goes....

The highway patrol set up an equipment check and stopped 105 cars. They found 37 had faulty headlights, 28 had faulty brakes, and 10 had both faulty lights and faulty breaks. Draw a venn diagram to represent this situation. How many cars passed the insepection for both lights and brakes.

Ok so I made the 2 circles -Venn diagram, then I put faulty breaks in one, and faulty headlights in the other, and then the ones with both in the middle. The confusing part for me is the ones who have both. At first I subtracted 5 from both sides, for the 10 that are in the middle, and got 32 faulty lights, and 23 faulty brakes, and the 10 in the middle, and getting a total of 40 cars passing the inspection, but my instructor said that was wrong. :(

Sooo do I subtract 10 from each side, for the 10 in the middle? That would seem like it would be 20 then. I'm just really confused, and making this way too hard. Any help....or explanation.....please? :oops:

take 10 from each set...

105 cars in total
27 lights only
18 brakes only
10 brakes and lights

passing cars
105- 27 -18 -10 =50