Order of Operations with fractions

mathloser14

Hey guys,just to tell u in advanced im very stupid in math.So i really need help on order of operations with fractions.

For example. 50- one-half(17-5)

On the one half part do you leave one-half like that or do you convert to decimal form(if you do can u please explain the process).

oo yea..andi have a lot more questions in the future too lol.Dont worry ill try my best in math. ~mathloser14

It doesn't matter which you multiply the 12 by, "1/2" or "0.5"; either way, you'll still get "6".

Eliz.

mathloser14 said:
Hey guys,just to tell u in advanced im very stupid in math.So i really need help on order of operations with fractions.
Who has been telling you this? How long? If I had a really long arm, and I knew the right person, I'd be inclined to do some slapping. What a frightful way to be thinking! Please find a way to stop this.
For example. 50- one-half(17-5)
It's a little hard to translate.

Adding parentheses would help clarify.

50-(1/2)*(17-5) <== Is that right?

There are special characters that aren't too hard to learn how to use.

50-½*(17-5) <== Is that right?

Do the addition inside the parentheses.

50-½*(17-5) = 50-½*(12)

Do the multiplication.

50-½*(12) = 50-6

And there is only subtraction remaining.

50-6 = 44

Just take it one step at a time. No need to panic or to try to cram it all in your head at the same time.

P.S. I recommend you forget you ever created this screen name. Get a new one, JustLearning or HopingToDoBetter.

thanx..oo yea my screen name its just a lil joke..anyways my friend is helping me at the libary i hope.. thanx guys