Graph the system of inequalities

G

Could someone PLEASE help me with this. I have no idea how to proceed. Our book shows examples of inequalities that need to be graphed, but they do not show examples of just the ones listed below. Any idea on how to proceed will be greatly appreciated.

Graph the system of inequalities.

x < 5
y < 4

Hint: "y = a" is a horizontal line; "x = b" is a vertical line. "Less than" means "below" or "to the left of", respectively.

Eliz.

I am aware that < means less than. and that x is horizontal and y is vertical. How do you graph when you only have one point?

I guess what I am asking is how do you graph x<5 and y<4? How do you shade in the area in between or do you have to?

You don't "only have one point". You have two lines: "y < 4" and "x < 5". Graph them (as dashed lines, of course). Shade (lightly) the appropriate sides of the lines. These shadings will have some overlap. Heavily shade the overlap, which is the solution region.

Eliz.

x<5 and y<4?

Draw a line on your graph for the following points (5,0) (5, 5)

ie use any y poiny as the area of concern is x = 5

This is your line to use, now you are interested in the area below the line as you need the less than x=5 area, shade this area(don't worry about the fact it goes forever on the lower side - you are showingthe general idea).

do the same for the y=4 (pick any x points and plot the line)

Holy smoke you guys are fast!

Okay, so I am going to shade in Quadrant I from x<5 (going to 5,0) and y<4 (going from 0,4) connect with a dotted line and that will give me the solution region?