Time and distance question

thetomps

A car is traveling at 60 miles per hour. How many seconds does the car take at that speed to cover 528 feet?

How would I set up this equation?
Would it be something like

Time = distance x ??? I am kinda lost

I would convert the "miles per hour" to "feet per second", and then set up the proportion with "528/s", where "s" is a variable standing for the number of seconds the car will need.

Eliz.

I do not have a conversion table in my book, do you know where I could find one?

Many dictionaries have tables, often somewhere in the back. You can find many conversion sites online; try a search engine. But if you're supposed to do problems of this sort, they're probably expecting you to have certain factors memorized (like "60 minutes in an hour", "5280 feet in a mile", etc.). Which ones have been covered recently in class?

Eliz.

what stapel said you should do is correct im just going to show you a tip on how to figure out the equations for distance,time, and speed questions that my math teacher taught me. i cant draw it on here so your going to have to figure it out by my discription. make a pyramid. split it up in the middle horizontally, NOT vertically. so on the top half of the pyramid(it will have the point at the top)put a letter "D" in the middle. then look at the bottom part of the pyramid(souldnt have the point at the top)and split it into 2 sections *vertically* so your pyramid will have 3 sections in total. one on the top half and two on the bottom half...on the bottom half on the left section put a letter"s" and on the right side put a letter"t" ....alright thats it for drawing ...now the "d" stands for distance, the "s" for speed and the "t" for time. now how this works is if you want to find the speed, cover up the "s" so you can only see the "d" and "t" it should look kinda like this D
---
t
and it looks like a division sign so when you want to find the speed you go distance divided by time. when you want to find the time, cover up the "t" and you will have something like this d
----
s
and so you will dived the distance by speed you will get the time..when you want to get the distance, you cover up the "d" and are left with
"s" with a "t" beside each other with a line seperating them meaning to multiply, so speed x time will give you distance. and vise-versa(time x speed gives you distance) ..

so for your question you have the speed:60km/h
distance:528 feet
so you need to find you how to get the time...so you cover up the "t" in your pyramid, and get that distance divided by speed will give you time...just remember to change your units and everything!!!i hope this helped and isnt too confusing

boy oh boy, weirdness...why confuse poor tomps? 8-)

Basic equation: speed = distance divided by time

speed: 60 MILES per HOUR

distance : 528 FEET = 5280/528 = 1/10 MILES

t = time
60 = (1/10) / t
t = (1/10) / 60
t = 1 / 600 HOURS

Now tomps, if you can't convert that to SECONDS, yer in trouble :cry:

sorry i didnt mean to make that confusing lol...its really easy when you understand it though...but go with denis..he's from canada so i mean he's gotta be smart eh?