Equation Editor for the boards?

paulccarboni

Hey,
I'm an AP calc teacher and was browsing around for a site that could help my students if they have questions and can't reach me. So far, I like your site best. It's nice not to have to click on each reply to read them and you have a very user-friendly interface.

My question - is there any type of equation editor that allows students to post integrals, summation, etc? I saw some people included them in their posts, but I think it was just a picture they saved on their computer rather than a feature you provide.

If you don't have one, it would be a nice feature for you to add if you can find a way.

Thanks,
PC

Please clarify: what can "Equation Editor" (or "MathType", maybe?) do that these LaTeX-capable forums can't?

Thank you.

Eliz.

LaTeX samples (hit the "quote" button, above right, to see the coding for the below):

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \large{\int^{\frac{2\pi}{3}}_0{\,\sqrt{9\,-\,x^2}\,}dx}\)

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \large{\sum^\infty_{i=0}{\;\frac{i!}{2^i}}}\)

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \large{A\,\subseteq\,B\;\Longleftrightarrow\;x\,\in\,\left(C\cap D\right)^{\neg}}\)

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \large{A^T\,=\,\left[\begin{array}{rrr}2&0&-3\\4&\frac{2}{5}&0\\0& -\frac{1}{3}&4\end{array}\right]}\)

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \large{a_n\,=\,a_1\,+\,d(n\,-\,1)}\)

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \large{x\,=\,\frac{-b\,\pm\,\sqrt{b^2\,-\,4ac}}{2a}}\)

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \large{\sin^2{(\theta)}\,+\,\cos{(2 \alpha)}\,+\,\tan{(\gamma)}}\)

You should see some buttons (4?) at the very top of the page. One of them should have a drop-down that covers LaTex, which is probably what you are seeing.
---------------------
Gene

Yes, you can use LaTeX code by typing your code inside TEX tags. To do this you simply click the TeX button right above the text box (it's in the same row as the bold, italic, and underline buttons).

To learn how to use LaTeX code you can go to the Forum Help menu at the top of the page and click on any of the LaTeX links. Additionally, you can use the TeXaide program to generate the equations on your computer and then copy the LaTeX code to the forum.

One other note: you don't have to click quote to view the code for a particular equation image. At least on my computer I can just hold the mouse cursor over the image and the "tooltip" will display the code right there.

Ted

Ted said:
I can just hold the mouse cursor over the image and the "tooltip" will display the code right there.
Cool! I'd never noticed that. 8-)

But my "tooltip" (in Mozilla) only displays a certain number of characters. If the LaTeX line is long enough (as in the matrix example above), I don't see all of the coding.

Eliz.

Oh you're right. Well another way to do it is right clicking on the image and selecting properties. Then you can resize that little property window to make it big enough to display the whole thing. But then... it's easier to just do the quote thing I guess.

Just testing

Hey, I'm just playing around with this LaTex stuff. It looks pretty confusing, but I'm sure there's a method to the madness:

\(\displaystyle a^2+b^2=c^2\)

\(\displaystyle sin^2(\theta)+cos^2(\theta)=1\)

\(\displaystyle m=\frac{y_1-y_2}{x_1-x_2}\\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{x^2+4} {x^4-16}\\)

If \(\displaystyle ax^2+bx+c=0\), then \(\displaystyle x=\frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}\\)

\(\displaystyle \sqrt[3]{27}=3\\)

\(\displaystyle \overline{x}=\frac{x_1+x_2+x_3+...+x_{n-1}+x_n}{n}\\)

\(\displaystyle \begin{eqnarray*}
\frac {d} {dx} \left( \frac {x^2-2} {3x+4} \right) & = & \frac { (3x+4) (2x) - (x^2 - 2) (3) } { (3x+4)^2} \\
& = & \frac {6x^2+8x-3x^2+6}{3x^2+4}\\
& = & \frac {3x^2+8x+6}{3x^2+4}
\end{eqnarray*}\)

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 0^+} \left( \frac{ln(x)}{\sin(x)}\right) \\)

\(\displaystyle \int_0^5 \left( \frac {1}{x^2-3x+2} \right) dx \\)

\(\displaystyle \Large
\begin{eqnarray*}
\longrightarrow \frac {1}{(x-2)(x-1)} & = & \frac {A}{x-2} + \frac {B}{x-1} \\
& \rightarrow & 1 = A (x-1) + B (x-2) \\
& \rightarrow & 1 = Ax - A + Bx - 2B \\
& \rightarrow & A + B = 0, -A - 2B = 1
& \rightarrow & A = 1, B = -1
\end{eqnarray*}\)
\(\displaystyle \Large
\begin{eqnarray*}
\longrightarrow \int_0^5 \left( \frac {1}{x^2-3x+2} \right) dx & = & \int_0^5 \left( \frac {1}{x-2} \right) dx + \int_0^5 \left( \frac {-1}{x-1} dx \right) \\
& = & \left. ln(x-2) \right|_0^5 - \left. ln(x-1) \right|_0^5 \\
& = & \left( ln(3) - ln(-2) \right) - \left( ln(4) - ln(-1) \right) \\
& = & whoops
\end{eqnarray*}\)

Alright...i'm getting the hang of it. I have one more question. In the \begin{eqnarray*} stuff, is there anyway to put a space between the lines? They're kinda jumbly. Changing font size helps...but it'd still be nice to have an empty line between them. I've tried simply putting a space between the "& = &" lines and the "\vspace" command without any success.

\(\displaystyle \L \begin{align*}
\text{my equ} &= \text{equ 1} \\
\\
\\
\\
\\
\\
\\
\\
\\
\\
\\