Is this wrong?

MrsG

Hello, I have a question for the admins. of this forum. I am a HS teacher and I signed up. I also encouraged my students to sign up so they could feel like they have a resource outside of school. (Isn't this what this is for?) I am encouraging them to search the forum and answer questions (I might even incorporate it into the unit plan). I believe one learns math through helping others and maybe even getting it wrong a few times. I also asked my students to preface the question subject heading with a name I could recognize. I recieved a few replies from member that were less than friendly. What have I done wrong? I thought this was a forum that was free to the public and there for students to ask questions and help others. I was planning on doing the same.

This is a free forum, but that doesn't mean it doesn't cost anybody anything. This site's bandwidth charges are paid for by a college student.

This forum is designed to allow students and tutors to interact to the students' benefit. That college student is in charge of this forum.

For you to decide that his forum (and out-of-pocket expenses) will, at least in part, serve as part of the online aspect of your class (why else use specifically-coded subject lines to bring your students' posts to your attention?) is, in the eyes of many, an abuse of the owner's generosity and good will.

Eliz.

"This forum is designed to allow students and tutors to interact to the students' benefit. That college student is in charge of this forum."

This was what I wanted to do. My students could ask questions from others and help others... Is it just for college students? Or a certain college? If so, then I am sorry for the imposotion. I am truly confused. I believe technology can enhance ones learning and am looking forward to integrating it into the curriculum. I hope we are welcome here.

I think you are welcome here and I will support you 100%. Most people don't ask permission like you're doing, but I don't feel you'd be hurting anyone. So pick up a pencil and paper and let's roll. :wink:

Look, I feel we should go after individuals who abuse the service by getting others to do their homework, not this person. Of course, we will have to see how things work out with you and your students.

By the way, what grade do you teach?

happy said:
Most people don't ask permission like you're doing....
Please pardon me: I didn't notice her post in the Admin forum asking to use Ted's site as her private classroom's online component. The first post of hers that I'd seen was this:

MrsG said:
Ok...so you've found me. Use this forum as a way to ask for help....If you are posting a question, please remember to use HHSAlg2d in the subject first ...so I can find you....Email me with any problems.
The above sounds (to me) like she's wanting to use Ted's bandwidth to provide a forum for her own private "HHSAlg2d" class. This use of somebody else's site seemed (to me) a bit presumptuous.

Please excuse my misunderstanding.

Eliz.

You're right. :oops: Still, I would like to see her be given a chance. However, if she "hijacks" the entire board, that's another story. Besides, I don't know if this person is a troll, or not. Anyone could say they are a HS teacher. I don't know anything until "she" posts.

The part about "emailing me with any problems" really gets to me. Is she going to act like a mod, OR EVEN LIKE THE OWNER? :shock:

...As long as no one gets all stressed out if someone else answers one of the designated students' questions.

Gotta love that irony.

:p

and BTW I haven't posted here because I have already contacted "MrsG" personally.

Ted