equation of a line

JERRY GRAHAM

What is the equation of a line that contains the points (2,3) and (14,-6)?
I can't remember how to figure this out. Can you refer me to former posts, and/or web sites to help me refresh my memory? Maybe you could even work out a similiar problem?

First take the two points and plug them into the "slope" formula you've memorized.

Once you have found the slope "m", pick either one of the points (it doesn't matter which), and plug it and the slope into whichever formula you've learned for finding line equations. (I'm aware of three methods/formulas; you'll need to show your work for us to know which one you're using.)

If you get stuck, please reply showing your work.

Thank you.

Eliz.

stapel said:
First take the two points and plug them into the "slope" formula you've memorized.

Once you have found the slope "m", pick either one of the points (it doesn't matter which), and plug it and the slope into whichever formula you've learned for finding line equations. (I'm aware of three methods/formulas; you'll need to show your work for us to know which one you're using.)

If you get stuck, please reply showing your work.

Thank you.

Eliz.
I did the rise/run (y^2-y^1/x^2-x^1) and came up with the slope m=-3/4, so that means y=-3/4 + (what)? That's the part I can't remember what to do -- or am I all wrong?

So you're using "y = mx + b" for your formula...? Then, as suggested earlier, take one of the points you were given and the slope you just found; plug the x, y, and m into the formula; and solve for b.

Eliz.