Request for critique

Would you like to see a switch to the new design?

• Yes, right now

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, the old one is better

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ted

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys,

If you've got some spare time I would like to know your opinions about a new design I've been working on for some time now. I think I made a post a few months ago, but now the site has been changed around a little bit to be more compatible with older browsers (inc. WebTV). All of the lessons and features are online so every link should work.

Anyway if you would please take a look at http://beta.freemathhelp.com and let me know what you like or dislike about the new design as compared to the current site on http://www.freemathhelp.com. I'm also planning on having a decent site search feature which will hopefully search message board posts as well.

I attached a poll to this post as just a quick idea of what people think, but I would really appreciate it if you left some comments as well.

Thanks a million for all your help!
Ted

I voted that "it doesn't matter to me" because I like both designs about equally well. But the current trend in web-page construction seems to be moving toward designs along the lines of your newer one, in large part because of the newer wider monitors that people are using.

So, while I don't have a particular preference personally, my professional advice would be to switch to the newer design.

Eliz.

Thanks, stapel. One of the reasons I asked was that a popular investing forum I visit recently upgraded their system and I really don't like some of the upgrades they made when the old system wasn't broken. I know that if anyone is guilty of changing for the purpose of changing, it's me.

The message boards here should remain the same, but I want to be sure that people don't say "wow, this new thing sucks."

Ted

The formatting in "Random Formula" leaves much to be desired.

The new layout may make it more convenient for those who don't already check the entire site for new posts.

Okay, perhaps I should do those as images instead. I'm not really sure about that whole idea, it seems kind of unnecessary to begin with. Perhaps I could link each formula to a page that explains it.

Ted

Hi, Ted,

The beta has some attractive features, but I'm content with your existing structure as well. I think the beta may give a broader look at all the info available on the site at first glance (bio's, etc.), while the existing format may be more focused on the "meat and potatoes" of the site: math help for students. I think that math help from the tutors is what 98% of the students access here (just my guess), so the existing format may be best.

Bill