Another statistic problem

tlwaring

Please help me with this. I am hoping I can pass this class.

Find the probability for each of the possibilities of X=0,1,2,3,4 girls in a family of 4 children.

Find the probability for each of the possibilities of X=0,1,2,3,4 girls in a family of 4 children.

Hello, Tracey,

Looks like you’re learning tree diagrams, so let’s use that approach. Start with two branches, labeling one branch as “boy” and the other as “girl.” This represents the first child in the family. Add two branches off of each of these, again labeling one as girl and the other as boy. This is the second child. Repeat this process two more times for the third and fourth children.

You will end up with 16 different paths (possibilities). Only one will be all boys. This means there is 1 chance out of 16 that there will be 0 girls. P{0} = 1/16 = .0625

Only one path will be all girls. This means there is 1 chance out of 16 that there will be 4 girls. Get the idea?

Examine the other paths to figure the other probabilities. Remember that all your probabilities must add up to 1.

Thank you so much. This class is driving me crazy. The book doesn't give great examples, and doesn't explain things clearly. Your explanation was wonderful and easy to understand! Thanks again. :D