permutation/combination help please

mstsoy

"ten pennies are lying on a table. four are 'heads' and six are 'tails.' Show that there are 210 ways such as "HHTTHTHTHT" that the coins can be lined up, considering only 'heads' and 'tails.'"
-I am so lost. I can't figure out whether to use permutaion or combination..I thought maybe combination since the order doesn't seem to matter..but I'm not getting 210 as the answer. Any ideas?

a hat contains tickets w/numbers 1,2...20 printed on them. if 4 tickets are drawn from the hat, without replacement, determine the probability that all are primes.

-well there are 8 primes. i did (8x7x6x5)/20P4 and got 14/969
i was wondering if that's correct

Any help will be appreciated thank you

mstsoy said:
"ten pennies are lying on a table. four are 'heads' and six are 'tails.' Show that there are 210 ways such as "HHTTHTHTHT" that the coins can be lined up, considering only 'heads' and 'tails.'"
-I am so lost. I can't figure out whether to use permutaion or combination..I thought maybe combination since the order doesn't seem to matter..but I'm not getting 210 as the answer. Any ideas?

a hat contains tickets w/numbers 1,2...20 printed on them. if 4 tickets are drawn from the hat, without replacement, determine the probability that all are primes.

-well there are 8 primes. i did (8x7x6x5)/20P4 and got 14/969
i was wondering if that's correct

Any help will be appreciated thank you

1) Permutation with repeats: \(\displaystyle \frac{10!}{4!6!} = 210\)
2) Almost.. Remember that when you take one ticket out, there is one less in the hat. \(\displaystyle P = \frac{8}{20} \cdot \frac{7}{19} \cdot \frac{6}{18} \cdot \frac{5}{17} = \frac{1680}{5814}\)

mstsoy said:

Any help will be appreciated thank you.
The number of permutations of "n" things, taken all at a time, "p" things of one kind, and "q" things of another kind, is nP(pq) = 10!/[(4!)(6!)] 10!/4!6! = 210.

Hello, mstsoy!

Here's a baby-talk approach to the first problem . . .

Ten pennies are lying on a table. Four are 'heads' and six are 'tails.'
Show that there are 210 ways that the coins can be lined up.
There are ten positions in a row for the coins.

We will chose four of them and place the Heads there.
\(\displaystyle \;\;\)(The six Tails will go in the remaining positions.)

How many ways can we choose 4 positions out of 10?

There are: \(\displaystyle \,C(10,4)\:=\:\frac{10!}{4!\cdot6!}\:=\: 210\) ways . . . ta-DAA!