HELP! (is sample representative? why or why not?)

shawnka

hey everybody if you are someone who has read my post before you know i cant
do word problems. I seriosly cant. So i would really appreciate it if you could help me. thanx-the problem is:

Yoshi's grade will be attending a brand new school next year. Students who will be attending the school are going to vote on the mascot for the school. To predict which mascot students will choose, Yoshi asks all of the students at her lunch table for their preferences. Is this a representative sample? why or why not?

HELP!!!!!

I'd say no because they are only considering one table (couild be a click who always do the same thing) which is not a good representation of the total population (entire school)

Re: HELP!

shawnka said:
hey everybody if you are someone who has read my post before you know i cant
do word problems. I seriosly cant. So i would really appreciate it if you could help me. thanx-the problem is:

Yoshi's grade will be attending a brand new school next year. Students who will be attending the school are going to vote on the mascot for the school. To predict which mascot students will choose, Yoshi asks all of the students at her lunch table for their preferences. Is this a representative sample? why or why not?

HELP!!!!!

I don't think that the people sitting at one lunch table would be representative of all of the students who will be attending the new school. Are there other grades besides Yoshi's who will go to this school? Are students from other schools going to this new school? I think that the students who share Yoshi's lunch table would be a very limited selection of the students who will attend the school.

Perhaps a better way to get a representative sample would be to make a list of all of the potential students for the new school, and send a ballot for the new mascot to perhaps every 10th student on the list. That way, you should get a good assortment of the new students.....not just the people from one small group.