graphs and their transformations

FMMurphy

When someone asks to describe each graph as a transformation of y=x^2
What sort of information are they asking for?

FMMurphy said:
What sort of information are they asking for?
The form of the answer will likely depend upon the sorts of transformations involved, and the required form of the answer. For instance, are you doing rotations in points and over lines? Or are you only shifting the graphs left, right, up, and down? Do the book's examples (and/or your class notes) have answers of the form "a sixty degree rotation about the point (a, b)"? Or answers of the form "g(x) is f(x + 3) - 4"?

Your book and/or your class notes would probably be the best place to find information on the required format.

Eliz.

The problem asks to describe as a transformation of y=x^2
It has a graph showing the coordinates of (0,0) (-1,2) (1,2). I don't know what kind of description they want.

FMMurphy said:
Describe what as a transformation of y = x<sup>2</sup>? What sorts of transformations are you doing? Rotations? Dilations and contractions? Or just plane motions?

FMMurphy said:
It has a graph showing the coordinates of (0,0) (-1,2) (1,2).
We can't see the pictures you're looking at, and I'm afraid I can't guess from this quite what it is that you're supposed to be doing.

FMMurphy said:
I don't know what kind of description they want.
Nor do we. Please review your text and/or your class notes to see what your instructor is expecting.

Eliz.

FMMurphy said:
It has a graph showing the coordinates of (0,0) (-1,2) (1,2). I don't know what kind of description they want.

y = x^2 passes through the points (0,0) (-1,1) and (1,1)

the y-values of (0,0) (-1,2) (1,2) are double the y-values of y = x^2

the "transformation" is what is called a "vertical stretch" ... y = 2x^2