is "logic" a course? if so, when do you take it?

mcrae

so im browing dr. math and i notice there is a section devoted to logic. is logic a course, or is different types taught in different courses, or whats the deal? do you learn abotu it directly (definitions of types of logic and such) in highschool at all, or just post-secondary?

There is no quick answer to your question.
But in very simple terms I can give some basic distinctions.
In a traditional post secondary education ‘logic’ courses are usually offered by either a department of mathematics or a department of philosophy.
When offered by philosophy departments the logic courses fall into two categories: informal logic and symbolic logic. One can even do a PhD in the philosophy of logic.
When offered by mathematics departments the logic courses usually mean ‘set theory’ that is a course in the foundations of mathematics.

I took two "logic" courses while an undergraduate in college, and they were taught by the philosophy department. They were not mathematical in nature.

I also took a "foundations" course, which was taught by the mathematics department. It covered proof theory, and thus logic.

So I guess it depends on what you mean by "logic", and were you go to school.

Eliz.