Help entering statistical data into TI89 Titanium

JNA0349

Im in Elementry Stats at my college, Its a condensed course, 15weeks into 10, so the teacher is trying to make it easier by giving step by step directions for the ti83 calculator to solve almost everyproblem we encounter.

My problem is i have a TI89, i was figuring out the transitions from 83-89 and could do some minion problems like Mean/SD for single variable stats.

But now we are in Probabiltiy Distributions, and she did this thing on her calc to get all the answers, she did the single variable stat in the ti83, and did a L1,L2 thing, and got the answer, i tried entering that in my TI89 Titanium, and it says error, i cant figure it out, and she didnt show us how to do it by hand.

Here is 1 of our HW problems, if somebody could please show me how to enter 2 lists in a single variable list like she did in the TI89, i would be so greatfull. Maybe one of you could show me a good guide for the TI89 Titanium, becuase i really dont want to fork out another 100$ just to get an A in this class, then have 2 graphing calculators.

HW Problem----

"Find the mean and standard deviation of the following probablility distribution.

X------1------2------3------4------5------6------7------8
P(X)--.15---..09---.06---.22----.31----.06----.04----.07

Please if anybody could show me a guide to stats on the TI89 Titanium, or atleast show me how to workthis out on one i would be so greatfull.

I have a TI-92. The only difference, I think, is the 92 has a keyboard.

Can you type on the 89 though?.

If so, type in: mean({15,.09,.06,.22,.31,.06,.04,.07})

ENTER

Your answer should be .125

Do the same for standard deviation.

Type: stdDev({enter data as above})

ENTER

Answer I got: .095468768266

You can also use the "2nd" key, MATH, Statistics.

mean and stdDev should be under that menu.

galactus said:
I have a TI-92. The only difference, I think, is the 92 has a keyboard.

Can you type on the 89 though?.

If so, type in: mean({15,.09,.06,.22,.31,.06,.04,.07})

ENTER

Your answer should be .125

Do the same for standard deviation.

Type: stdDev({enter data as above})

ENTER

Answer I got: .095468768266

You can also use the "2nd" key, MATH, Statistics.

mean and stdDev should be under that menu.

Yeah thats the info for a single data set, what we covered in class, an example what she did, but she did on the calc, so did

List 1-----List 2
1 0.16
2 0.22
3 0.28
4 0.20
5 0.14

she went to STAT, CALC 1. and where it said enter list she went L1,L2, and it came up with 2.94 as the mean,

the equation she gave us was SIGMAxP(x)

so she went to what would be 1-var stats in my ti89, however, when i try to enter a LIST1 and LIST2, it wont let me, i can easly enter LIST1 and get the mean of a single list, but thats not what she wants, i also tried a 2 var stats but it doesnt give me the correct answer either.

I still have my guide to the calc, but i cant find a guide to probability distributions

Another thing, i havent been using my regular calc, ive been using the Stats APP that has the Lists and stuff.

Another thing, when we covered it, she said that a Probability Distribution and Random Variable are interchangable, i tried searching for both of those in my guide and i cant find it...............