Help with Levels of Measurement

G

Help I am trying to get through some statistics and need help with the following quesitons on level of measurement. I put what I thought my answers were but I have no one to help me verify them. If anyone could review, that would be great.

Answer the following questions concerning different "scales" or "levels of measurement."

1.) Look at the chart below and identify the "scale" or "level of measurement" it represents.

Activity Number in your household who participated or watched the following activities at least:
Once per year Once per month Once per week Never
Aerobics 6 3 8 43
Archery 2 3 1 59
Arts and crafts 9 20 12 27
Baseball 8 22 21 27
Basketball 4 15 22 34
Bicycling BMX 6 2 5 46
Bicycling mountain/road 6 14 19 41
Bird watching 10 2 14 43
Boating 16 17 18 29

ANSWER: The scale above is identifying the number of events, in this case attendance by family members to a particular recreational activity. The Nominal Scale classifies individuals, companies, products, brands or other entities into categories where no order is implied. It simply involves a count of the frequency of the cases assigned to the various categories. Therefore, this example is a Nominal Scale.

2.) According to the information below, identify the "scale" or "level of measurement" it represents.

Hair color Swimming Mtn. Biking
Blonde 32 14
Brunette 4 54
Red Head 29 39

ANSWER: Nominal Scale. This scale represents a preference of activity by hair color. When measuring using a nominal scale, one simply names or categorizes responses. Gender, favorite color, and religion are examples of variables measured on a nominal scale. The essential point about nominal scales is that they do not imply any ordering among the responses. For example, when classifying people according to their favorite color, there is no sense in which green is placed "ahead of" blue. Responses are merely categorized. Nominal scales embody the lowest level of measurement.

3.) According to the information below, identify the "scale" or "level of measurement" it represents.
(1) Never true (2) Seldom True (3) Somewhat True (4) Often true (5) Always True

ANSWER: Ordinal Scale. A researcher wishing to measure consumers' satisfaction with their video players might ask them to specify their feelings as either "very dissatisfied", "somewhat dissatisfied", "somewhat satisfied", or "very satisfied". The items in this scale are ordered, ranging from least to most satisfied. This is what distinguishes ordinal from nominal scales.

In the example above, nothing in the measurement procedure allows us to determine whether the two differences reflect the same difference in psychological satisfaction meaning that the differences between adjacent scale values do not necessarily represent equal intervals on the underlying scale giving rise to the measurements.

4.) According to the information below, identify the "scale" or "level of measurement" it represents.
1. Do you live in the County or City? ____ County ____ City2. If you live in the County, where do you reside? ____ Williams ____ Doney Park ____ Timberline ____ Munds Park ____ Sedona

ANSWER: Ratio Scale of measurement. In ratio measurement there is always an absolute zero that is meaningful. In this example, the number of people who live in the county and within a particular subdivision create that ratio. We can also have people living in the county and all in one subdivision.

5.) A Speedball field is 36,400 square feet, this represent which "scale" or "level of measurement?"

ANSWER: Nominal Level of Measurement

Be careful to distinguish between a list of objects and a count of objects of some type. A count of something is always on a ratio scale, because it has a fixed zero point ( a count of zero), and ratios are meaningful (2 heads are twice as many as 1 head). So a list such as {blonde, brunette, red-head} or {male, female} constitutes a nominal scale of measurement, but once you count them, the counts themselves are ratio scaled variables.

An area is a ratio scale. Even though zero area is a limit, taking ratios of areas is meaningful ( as long as the denominator is not zero). A distance, volume, or weight is also a ratio scale.

Don't mistake an arbitrary representation of a measurement with the scale of measurement itself. It's true that a list of names, social security numbers, etc., can be sorted, but that doesn't change the scale.