cant seem to grasp word problems

G

I have two word problems that I dont have any examples on how to set them up.

The first states that Pat by himself, can paint four rooms in 10 hours. If he hires April to help, they can do the same job together in 6 hours. If he lets April work alone, how long will it take her to paint four rooms.

I almost feel like I dont have enough information to set this problem up, but Im sure there is a way. Any help would be appreciated.

The next states that two cars enter the Florida turnpike at Commercial Boulevard at 8:00am, heading for same destination. One cars avg. speed is 10 miles per hour more than the other's. The fastest car arrives at 1100am, 1/2 hour before the other car. What is the average speed of each and how far did each travel?

Im thinking I should either set the equation as 2x+10=390, but someone else told me it might be 210x=(x+10)180. Im having a lot of trouble figuring out exactly where to start on these problems. Thanks in advance.

"Pat by himself, can paint four rooms in 10 hours. If he hires April to help, they can do the same job together in 6 hours. If he lets April work alone, how long will it take her to paint four rooms."

Hint:
By himself, Pat does 1/10 of work in 1 hour.
Together, they do 1/6 of work in 1 hour.

"two cars enter the Florida turnpike at Commercial Boulevard at 8:00am, heading for same destination. One cars avg. speed is 10 miles per hour more than the other's. The fastest car arrives at 1100am, 1/2 hour before the other car. What is the average speed of each and how far did each travel?"

Hint:
slow car speed = v; then faster car = v+10
time by faster car: 3 hours; by slower car: 3.5 hours
formula (WHICH YOU SHOULD KNOW): speed = distance / time

vroom vroom and good luck :shock:

so Im guessing I would set the first up as 1/10 +1/t=1/6
move things over then....1/10 - 1/6= -1/t
then.......3/30 - 5/30= -1/t
then.......-2/30 = -1/t ------> -2/t=-30 ------> t=15
so April can paint four rooms in 15 hours right!?

and on the second..........if found a table on another site that helps

Velocity Time Distance
fastest car v + 10 180 180(v+10)
slowest car v 210 210v

set each equal to the other 180v+1800=210v ------->v=60

fastest cars speed is 70 mph and the slow cars speed is 60 mph.
the distance for the slowest car(s*t=d) equals 60*3.5=210 miles
the distance for the fastest car would be 70*3=210 miles
which would mean that both cars went same distance......AND THEY DID!

Does this look right?

Thanks for all the help! This seems like a great board to be part of!