Calculating gas mileage and travelling costs

wyocntrygrl

I would appreciate some help calculating gas milage for an upcomming trip to Minnesota from Wyoming.

We get approximately 17 Miles to the gallon in our Surburban. We are traveling about 1000 miles to Minnesota in a few weeks. And our local gas prices are about $2.89 per gallon.

Could someone please help calculate what it will cost us in gas to go there. Thanks

If you travel 17 miles, how many gallons will you use?

If you travel 34 miles, how many gallons will you use?

If you travel 51 miles, how many gallons will you use?

How did you do the above computations? Use the same operation to obtain the value for the number of gallons used.

If you use one gallon, how much money would that cost?

If you use two gallons, how much money would that cost?

If you use three gallons, how much money would that cost?

How did you do the above computations? Use the same operation to obtain the value for the cost of the gallons used.

When you write down your final hand-in answer, remember that your instructor will be expecting a sensible value. Put the appropriate units on your answer, and don't use too many decimal places.

If you get stuck, please reply showing how far you have gotten. Thank you.

Eliz.

Or you can "travel" like this:
17 = 2.89
1 = 2.89 / 17 = .17
1000 = ?

wyocntrygrl said:
I would appreciate some help calculating gas milage for an upcomming trip to Minnesota from Wyoming.

We get approximately 17 Miles to the gallon in our Surburban. We are traveling about 1000 miles to Minnesota in a few weeks. And our local gas prices are about $2.89 per gallon.

Could someone please help calculate what it will cost us in gas to go there. Thanks

Ok...you can get 17 mpg with your vehicle.

Divide the number of miles you expect to travel by the number of miles per gallon and you get:

1000 mi / 17 miles per gallon
or,
1000 mi * (1 gallon / 17 miles)

That will tell you the APPROXIMATE number of gallons you will use. Multiply this by the price per gallon of gas, and that will tell you approximately what you will spend for gas. (Did you figure the return trip, also?)

I hope this helps you.