the bow tie method for problem like '3x/y x 1/x'....?

1) If only we knew what it was you were trying to do.
2) What is the "Bow Tie Method"?
3) I really don't want to know.
4) You aren't using "x" to mean both multiplication and a variable name, are you?
5) If you are trying to multiply fractions, just treat numerator and denominator separately.
6) If you are trying to divide fractions, please rewrite the expression.
7) Please provide a complete problem statement. We don't know what's in your head or in the head of your book's author or your teacher.

here are the answers to your questions or queries or somthing

1) ok, so my idiotic parents are making me do some workbook and there is this chapter on algebraic equations. There was a problem and it was 3x/y * 1/x
2) in that chapter of the book that im working on, they introduced something called the bow tie method and it works like this:
- you have 2 fractions with variables
- 1: you multiply the denokminator of the 2nd fraction and the numerator of the first.
-2: you multiply the denominator of the first by the numerator of the second
-3: then you multiply both the denominators to produce the final denominator.

its works like that. now they gave an example. if we fololowed all the stps, it would look like this:

THE EXAMPLE PORBLEM:

4x/1- x/3

12(x)
4x/1- x/3

12(x)-(x)
4x/1- x/3

then the 12(x)-(x) would be the numerator to the number 3 becuz thats wat wat it(the book) said.

3) too bad... i just spent 5 minutes typing that and when i was done i just noticed wat u said. (stupid me)

4) no, i was being stupid and i forgot that the * was the same thing as the multiplacation sign

#'s 5)- 6) i dont get wat ur trying to say, and finally:

7) here you go. :D

1) Fix your attitude. You need to learn. Your parents may have a clue. At least consider the possibility.
2) I see. That is for Addition and Subtraction ONLY. It does not apply to multiplication. It's also a little silly for addition and subtraction, but if that's what you have, go with it. You SHOULD be looking for a LEAST common denominator. The "bow tie method" will find a common denominator, but not necessarily the LEAST common denominator.
3) Oh well. And fix your attitude.
4) No worries. I decoded it, obviously. Try to be clear and consistent. The "*" was a good choice. You can always add more parentheses to make it more clear. This will help with your attitude, too.

Multiplication of Fractions - No Bow Ties here.

3x/y * 1/x

Multiply numerators

3x * 1 = 3x

Multiply Denominators

y * x = xy

Put it together

3x/(xy)

Someone may wish you to simplify it. Note the common 'x' in numerator and denominator.

3x/(xy) = (3/y)*(x/x) = (3/y)*(1) = 3/y

8) TOTALLY good work on just answering my questions. It helps when you DON'T think I'm mad at you. Since I am not mad at you, and you are not stupid, and your parents really are not idiotic, I think we all can get along just fine.

9) What else have you? Let's learn some mathematics. :)

tkhunny said:
1) Fix your attitude. You need to learn. Your parents may have a clue. At least consider the possibility.
2) I see. That is for Addition and Subtraction ONLY. It does not apply to multiplication. It's also a little silly for additionand subtraction, but if that's what you have, go with it. You SHOULD be looking for a LEAST common denominator. The "bow tie method" will find a common denominator, but not necessarily the LEAST common denominator.
3) Oh well. And fix your attitude.
4) No worries. I decoded it, obviously. Try to be clear and consistent. The "*" was a good choice. You can always add more parentheses to make it more clear. This will help with yoru attitude, too.

Multiplication of Fractions - Now Bow Ties here.

3x/y * 1/x

Multiply numerators

3x * 1 = 3x

Multiply Denominators

y * x = xy

Put it together

3x/(xy)

Someone may wish you to simplify it. Note the common 'x' in numerator and denominator.

3x/(xy) = (3/y)*(x/x) = (3/y)*(1) = 3/y

8) TOTALLY good work on just answering my questions. It helps when you DON'T think I'm mad at you. Since I am not mad at you, and you are not stupid, and your parents really are not idiotic, I think we all can get along just fine.

9) What else have you? Let's learn some mathematics. :)

write me a line if u need with something besides the "Bowtie" method.