1 more word problem. interest

fiftrombone

sorry. i ahve no text book or other resources for help.

donna invested her $33,000 bonus and recieved a total of 970 in interest after one year. if part of the money returned was 4% and the remainder 2.25% than how much did she invest at each rate?

thank you

fiftrombone said:
donna invested her $33,000 bonus and recieved a total of 970 in interest after one year. if part of the money returned was 4% and the remainder 2.25% than how much did she invest at each rate?
thank you
What are you here for, fiftrombone aka Caron?
Just the answer, or to ACTUALLY learn how?
This is not a classroom 8-)

fiftrombone said:
[I have] no text book or other resources for help.
You have no text or class notes or lectures or instructor or anything, but somehow you're getting homework exercises...?

Please reply with clarification, including the exact text of the exercise and the method by which you are expected to solve it.

Thank you.

Eliz.

i am tutoring a lady who is taking a class. and i havent been in math myself for some years. and these word problems are very confusing to me on how to just write out the equations. thats all i need. and possibly how you knew what to write. im not looking for answers. and im not "caron" she is probably enrolled in the same class as me tutee. but i had trouble with the same question as her. this isnt my homework its my tutee's and i cant check if she got it right because she cant do it either.

Trying to tutor through a "translator" who doesn't understand the material has never succeeded, at least not that I've ever seen.

Please have the student post her questions directly, showing what she has tried so far.

Thank you.

Eliz.

fiftrombone said:
i am tutoring a lady who is taking a class. and i havent been in math myself for some years. and these word problems are very confusing to me on how to just write out the equations. thats all i need. and possibly how you knew what to write. im not looking for answers. and im not "caron" she is probably enrolled in the same class as me tutee. but i had trouble with the same question as her. this isnt my homework its my tutee's and i cant check if she got it right because she cant do it either.
Well..ok..let's see..here's your problem:
"donna invested her $33,000 bonus and recieved a total of 970 in interest after one year. if part of the money returned was 4% and the remainder 2.25% than how much did she invest at each rate?"

IF $12,000 was the amount at 4%, how much total interest would be received?
(This is just to see where you're at with interest calculations)

480 dollars. i understand that part and stuff i just dont see what the equation, or equationS i hsould write outr ot solve this problem

fiftrombone said:

thank you

let x = amount invested at 4%
33000 - x = amount invested at 2.25%

970 = x(.04) + (33000 - x)(.0225)

solve for x, then determine 33000 - x.

fiftrombone said:
480 dollars. i understand that part and stuff i just dont see what the equation, or equationS i hsould write outr ot solve this problem
$480 would be on the $12,000: correct.
Left would be 33,000 - 12,000 = 21,000 at 2.25% = 472.50 ; ok?

ok; here we go...
let x = amount invested at 4%; then amount at 2.25% = 33000 - x ; ok?
SO:
.04x + .0225(33000 - x) = 970
solve for x