algebra1: need help figuring out 49x^2y-3/7x-3y

first of all, is the expression that you meant to type
\(\displaystyle \L \frac{49x^2y - 3}{7x-3y}\) or \(\displaystyle \L 49x^2y - \frac{3}{7}x - 3y\) or something else entirely?

second ... what are you supposed to do with it? in other words, what are the directions?

skeeter said:
\(\displaystyle \L \frac{49x^2y - 3}{7x-3y}\) or \(\displaystyle \L 49x^2y - \frac{3}{7}x - 3y\) or something else entirely?

second ... what are you supposed to do with it? in other words, what are the directions?
I am suppose to simplify it.the for was corredt that looked more like a fraction.

vickielynn said:
skeeter said:

I am suppose to simplify it.the for was corredt that looked more like a fraction.

\(\displaystyle \L \frac{49x^2y - 3}{7x-3y}\) cannot be simplified any further ... please check the expression again.

vickielynn said:
I'm sorry, but the above is almost unintelligible. (Proper spelling, punctuation, and capitalization can be very helpful in conveying one's meaning clearly.)

Please reply with the full and exact text of the exercise, the complete instructions, and a clear listing of everything you have tried thus far. Please review the formatting explained in "Karl's Notes" to make your meaning clear.

Thank you.

Eliz.

this my help

49x^2y-3
________
7x-3y

7x(7x)+y-3 cross out the 7x,7x and leaves you with 7x
_________ you subtract y-3y and gives you -2y.
7x-3y

7x-3
____
-2y[/u]

Re: this my help

jin2rul76 said:
...cross out the 7x....
Since one can only cancel common factors, not terms within the factors, this step would be entirely incorrect. Sorry.

Eliz.

vickie and/or jin, how would you simplify this "simpler version":
(49x^2 - 9y^2) / (7x - 3y)