MASTERMIND THOUGHTS!

G

Hi! :)
I was wondering what three ideas or fundamentals would you reccommend a student should know, and know very well to be strong at high school, first year university maths? If you could only teach three classes ... what would you teach in each of those classes?

Also from your experience what has been the three most powerful and useful study ideas/principles/techniques that you have used to get the results you want... in regards to studying maths? And could you give a short example of how you applied that idea?

Thanks in advance for your answers, the more the merrier!

Well I always tell ppl to check there answers by plugging variables, ect. back in the equation to make sure you didn't make a simple mistake. Also make sure you answers seem logical (you can't have a negative distance if you are solving a distance problem w/the quadratic formula). Also ask lots and lots of questions and stay commited. Listen to your teacher/book and concentrate and think why this is happening.

I think to understand what a variable is.....is a great help.
It helped me to understand formulas, and gave me a better appreciation for proofs.

It took me ages to figure out things like (n-1)(n-2) and so on.....but when i understood what n was .. it was ok.

For study tips I would try to use pictures to symbolise what different parts of the solutions meant!

It's always easy to remember a picture!

My study technique consists of going to every lecture and taking notes. I usually don't try to understand what the professor is saying because they go way too fast for me to comphrehend new material in a matter of minutes. So I go home, read over the notes (or math book) then do homework problems. The more I learn to understand math on my own, the better I do in the class. Also, I go to a math lab for help if I need it.

letsgetaway said:
My study technique consists of going to every lecture and taking notes. I usually don't try to understand what the professor is saying because they go way too fast for me to comphrehend new material in a matter of minutes. So I go home, read over the notes (or math book) then do homework problems. The more I learn to understand math on my own, the better I do in the class. Also, I go to a math lab for help if I need it.

Yes that really is some good advice. Good to know you are commited! :D