At which points does each line cross the x and y axes?

skooter

Hi,

I'm having trouble finding which points the line crosses the x and y axes on a graph given the following equation:

y = 4x -3

I have solved where the line crosses the y axes by replacing x with 0.

y = 4(0) -3
y = -3

However, when it comes to x this formula is not working

0 = 4x -3
3 = 4x

that's where im stuck...how can 3 = 4x when x has to be a whole number to be plotted on the graph?

Please help!

Thanks

Edit: I just realized I may be doing this problem incorrectly. I am taking Algebra through independent study and dont have the help of a regular teacher. The book I'm using doesn't provide much in the way of explanations and usually uses a very simple equation for the example provided. The example in this section is y = x - 3

so y = 0 - 3
y = -3

0 = x - 3
x = 3

when you throw multiplication into it such as with my problem it seems much more difficult to me.

If somebody knows the correct formula, please post it, thank you :)

Hey Skooter,

You were doing it correctly. X doesn't have to be an integer (whole number).

0=4x-3
3=4x
so \(\displaystyle x=3/4\)

Reply if you have any more problems. I'm on here a lot of the time waiting for help with my questions!

Thanks =)

I thought x would have to be an integer to figure out where the line would intersect it on a graph.

I appreciate your help

No problem. I know what it's like sitting there confused over a problem with no-one to help. Happens to me every day! :wink:

Erm...

That's what I wrote *cough". I'm tired OK! Sorry about the mistake skooter. You know what I mean :wink:

Denis. You have to embaress me in front of these geniuses :oops: