[MOVED] A researcher studies deer and Lyme disease....

hunnie397

I have a small stats question: Here's the problem and what I've solved thus far:

A researcher is interested in the proportion of deer in a heavily deer-populated county in NE PA that have Lyme disease. She takes blood samples from deer killed during buck (male) hunting season as a source of data. Out of 200 deer, forty-two (42) were found to have Lyme disease (ie 21%). She claims with 95% confidence that the percent of deer in this county that have Lyme disease is b/t 15.4% and 26.6%.

Using the words of the example, describe:

a) population: all the deer that have Lyme disease
b) parameter: the true proportion of deer in NE PA that have Lyme disease
c) sample: the 200 deer selected
d) statistic: 42/200 = 0.21
e) statistical inference: 0.154 (is less than or equal to) pi (is greater than or equal to) 0.266
f) bias that could exist in this sampling scheme: what i need to know

I wasn't sure if the question is asking for the external factors that could play into the data (for ex: the amount of deer killed this year vs. last year, etc)...?

THanks!! Marissa

hunnie397 said:
I have a small stats question: Here's the problem and what I've solved thus far:

A researcher is interested in the proportion of deer in a heavily deer-populated county in NE PA that have Lyme disease. She takes blood samples from deer killed during buck (male) hunting season as a source of data. Out of 200 deer, forty-two (42) were found to have Lyme disease (ie 21%). She claims with 95% confidence that the percent of deer in this county that have Lyme disease is b/t 15.4% and 26.6%.

Using the words of the example, describe:

a) population: all the deer that have Lyme disease
b) parameter: the true proportion of deer in NE PA that have Lyme disease
c) sample: the 200 deer selected
d) statistic: 42/200 = 0.21
e) statistical inference: 0.154 (is less than or equal to) pi (is greater than or equal to) 0.266
f) bias that could exist in this sampling scheme: what i need to know

I wasn't sure if the question is asking for the external factors that could play into the data (for ex: the amount of deer killed this year vs. last year, etc)...?

THanks!! Marissa
First of all, looking at the claim, the population is all deer in this county. Now ask why might a sample of male bucks killed might not be representative of this population.