reverse sigma equations?

jak646

Hi, thanks for help ahead of time, can someone explain to me if there is a way to reverse a sigma equation based on only the results? Given a chain of answers there must be an easier way than simply guessing possible equations.

My two specific questions are for a Sigma solution set of {5+9+17+35+...} and {33+40+46+52+61+74+82} and I'm supposed to figure out the sigma notation for those results.

I'm interested in learning it rather than simply getting the answer for those. Thanks again.

There is not a unique solution to your problem. You can make a polynomial expression fit exactly to the given points, but it is not the only expression that can be made to fit.

So to figure out just one possible expression would I be able to derive it by somehow solving all the results or should I just start thinking "what expression gives me this result and also that result", an obviously terribly time consuming way.

jak646 said:
So to figure out just one possible expression would I be able to derive it by somehow solving all the results...
If you have been provided with a method for "solving all the results", then yes, apply that method.

Eliz.