word problem: Find three consecutive even integers such that

babylilly5

Find three consecutive even integers such that 3 times the sum of the two is 48 less than the third.

Can you tell me how to answer this problem. I didn't get how to do it because I wasn't at school due to being sick

Re: word problem: Find three consecutive even integers such

babylilly5 said:
I didn't get how to do it because I wasn't at school due to being sick
But you got the class notes from a friend, and you have studied the examples in your book, right?

babylilly5 said:
Find three consecutive even integers such that 3 times the sum of the [first?] two is 48 less than the third.
i) Pick a variable for "the first" integer. How much bigger is "the next" (that is, "the second") even integer?

ii) Use this information to write an expression, in terms of the variable, for "the third" number. Then continue on to find an expression for the third number.

iii) From the variable and the expressions, create an expression for "the sum of the first two". Simplify. Multiply by 3.

iv) Create another expression for "forty-eight less than" "the third". Simplify.

v) Set (iii) equal to (iv). Solve the equation.

vi) Back-solve for the other two numbers. Remember to check your solution.

If you get stuck, please reply showing how far you have gotten. Thank you.

Eliz.

you got me totally confused....i dont get anything you just said im soo sorry....and i didnt get info from friends in class...because they dont understand it also...the teacher doesnt explain things properly...

babylilly5 said:
you got me totally confused....i dont get anything you just said
If you don't know anything about variables, then you need to have a serious talk with your academic counsellor about course placement. You should not have been put in a class which assumes background material that you've never seen; that isn't fair to you.

Good luck!

Eliz.

Re: word problem: Find three consecutive even integers such

babylilly5 said:
Find three consecutive even integers such that 3 times the sum of the two is 48 less than the third.
That makes no sense whatsoever, Lilly.
Can you post the darn thing properly? IN FULL!