Does it get any harder/easier than this?

NewSlang

I am really struggling right now with my college algebra class. I tested into this class after reading a highschool algebra book and haven't had any math classes for six years. I have to take calculus for the college major I've chosen (pre-pharmacy). Despite working dilligently for an hour or more a day on my homework everything isn't "clicking" yet.

I am just wondering if calculus is really any easier/harder than the hardest parts of college algebra. Right now what's really giving me problems is factoring and having all the identities memorized. I know difficulty is subjective, but any insight into my question would be appreciated.

Also mods, if this is in the wrong place please move it for me. Thanks!

NewSlang said:
Right now what's really giving me problems is factoring and having all the identities memorized.
You just answered your own question. These items you listed are not calculus. Struggling with these algebra/trigonometry issues suggests to me that you may not have had appropriate preparation for your calculus class. You will have to step up your review of these earlier subjects. It is not impossible.

If by "identities" you mean various calculus methods, you may be entirely missing the point.

Personally, I'd go have a real serious chat with your teacher. You may require additional assistance outside class and office hours. Is there a good Math Lab or something like that?

I'm not taking calculus right now. I am currently taking college algebra I have to take college algebra and then pre-calc as pre-requesites for calculus. My question was: If i'm struggling right now with algebra, will I necessarrilly be struggling even more in the future when I take calc?

I see. I misunderstood. (I don't know how, since your first sentence is clear enough. :?)

There is nothing wrong with struggling. Learning new things can be a struggle, particularly if you've been out of the business for a few years. Just get through it and you will be prepared to move on.

Learn to be consistent. Learn to be clear. Learn to be precise. If you don't undertand, don't be afraid to ask. Math teachers love to see lights go on in students' heads.

Don't be in a hurry. Learn the present material and let the future material take care of itself. There is a reason why the stuff is presented sequentially and prerequisites are listed clearly.

NewSlang said:
I'm not taking calculus right now. I am currently taking college algebra I have to take college algebra and then pre-calc as pre-requesites for calculus. My question was: If i'm struggling right now with algebra, will I necessarrilly be struggling even more in the future when I take calc?

Well, yes, in a way. You'd have to learn all the algebra stuff you didn't pick up and calculus at the same time. I struggled with trig identities for a while, even after I got through precal. Patience is key. Take one step at a time.

I wouldn't say calculus is hard. It's more time consuming for me because my prof gives 20+ questions every section. We do at least 2 sections a week. We've had 4 sections recently. I was so behind. I'm still catching up. If you keep up with the material, it should be easy.

...plus, there is a reason why algebra texts may have 150 problems in a single problem section. You are supposed to do this fundamental stuff until it is part of your soul. Calculus texts can have 60+ problems in a section. Drill, drill, drill. Get it sure and smooth and you will be ready to move on.

Incorrect Addage: Practice Makes Perfect.
Repaired Addage: Progress Makes Perfect. Practice Makes Permanent.

Do it poorly, or in a confusing fashion, 50 times and you WILL stuggle with it in the future. Make it make sense from the start.

comes out something like: 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration;
BUT:
when you get the 1% inspiration, the thrill will make you forget
the 99% you "suffered" through :wink: