algebra 1: In a hockey league, 87 players play on 7 differen

Connie

:? Hi, I, having trouble with this :?: , can some 1 help me :?: Thanks, I owe you 1

In a hockey league, 87 players play on 7 different teams. Each team has at least 12 players. What is the largest posseible number of players on any one team.

I multiplyed 87 by 7 and got 604, then do I divide that by 12? or am I all wrong :?: :cry:

Your setup is wrong. Don't worry though that's why we're here. :)

Whenever you divide 87 by 7, you get a number larger than 12 so you know that one team can have more than 12.

Since each team must have have at least 12 players, then you want to give 6 teams only 12 players to get a max.

So if the 6 take 72 players, then the largest possible players on one team is 87 players minus 72 players which is 15 players.

Check: 72 + 15 = 87

Re: algebra 1: In a hockey league, 87 players play on 7 diff

Connie said:
:? Hi, I, having trouble with this :?: , can some 1 help me :?: Thanks, I owe you 1

In a hockey league, 87 players play on 7 different teams. Each team has at least 12 players. What is the largest posseible number of players on any one team.

I multiplyed 87 by 7 and got 604, then do I divide that by 12? or am I all wrong :?: :cry:

You know that there are 7 teams. Each team has at least 12 players. So, if each of the 7 team had exactly 12 players, that would take 7*12 people, or 84 people.

Now, you know that there are 87 players in all. It takes 84 players to give each team 12. How many players are left? If all of these "left-over" players go onto ONE of the 7 teams, how many players would that team have?