help w/ using the Quadratic Formula, completing the square

emdorsheimer

I am going to post more than one question to this one. I do not want to hog all the apces up here. I need help bad. Is anyone out here willing to give me thier email to help through the next two weeks. I need to bring my grade up from a D to at least a C. I struggled for 7 weeks now not knowing you all were here to generously help. Thanks to you all.

1. Solve by completing the square. x^2 + 4x + 3 = 0
Please show the steps and here are my choices.
A) 1, 3 B) –1, 3 C) 1, –3 D) –1, –3

2. Solve by completing the square. x^2 = 5x + 2

A) 5 + sqrt33/4 B) 5 + sqrt29/2 C) 5 + sqrt33/2 D) 5 + sqrt29/4

3. Solve by using the quadratic formula. x^2 – x – 2 = 0

4. Solve by using the quadratic formula. 4x^2 – 3x + 3 = 0

5. Solve by using the quadratic formula. 3x^2 = 11x + 4

6. Solve. x^2 + 12x + 32 = 0
A) 4, 8 B) –4, 8 C) 4, –8 D) –4, –8

Next the graphs come in and that is extremely confusing. I thought this was confusing these are much harder. Please help me? Thanks again in advance!!

Here's the quadratic formula:\(\displaystyle \L \;\;x = \frac{{ - b \pm \sqrt {b^2 - 4ac} }}{{2a}}\)

The quadratic formula has to be in the form:\(\displaystyle \L \;ax^2\,+\,bx+c\,=\,0\,\) in which \(\displaystyle a\) is unequal to zero. Identify your \(\displaystyle a\), \(\displaystyle b\), and \(\displaystyle c\) and solve.

You've been given a demonstration of completing the square in one of your other threads, so study that post (along with whatever online lessons you find helpful). Then please attempt those exercises.

Using the Quadratic Formula is a simple matter of plug-n-chug: Plug the numbers into the formula and chug away (simplify) to get the answer. Where are you stuck?

Please reply showing your work so far. Thank you.

Eliz.