Binomial Distribution

xo_caroline_xo

Les Luhk seems to have the worst luck getting Saturday night dates. On the average he has a 10% success rate; that is only 10% of the girls he asks to go out with him will accept. On a particulae Saturday night, he faxes request to seven potential dates. (are you beginning to understand part of the problem( What is the probability that he will end up with two dates?

anyone please help me, i dont understand the question at ALL, if i did i would have showed you my work so far...

caroline

You don't understand at all?. If you're studying the binomial distribution and you don't understand at all, you'd better see your instructor.

10% success, 90% failure. p=0.10, q=0.90

Use the binomial distribution.

\(\displaystyle \L\\C(7,2)(0.10)^{2}(0.90)^{5}\)

galactus said:
You don't understand at all?. If you're studying the binomial distribution and you don't understand at all, you'd better see your instructor.

10% success, 90% failure. p=0.10, q=0.90

Use the binomial distribution.

\(\displaystyle \L\\C(7,2)(0.10)^{2}(0.90)^{5}\)

she just gave us the worksheet and told us to hand it in on monday, i tried working on it fri night and sat night, and i dont understand it, thats y i asked for help :(

That's OK you asked for help. Did your teacher just throw an assignment at you without going over any of the subject matter?.
Don't you just hate that. :roll:

galactus said:
That's OK you asked for help. Did your teacher just throw an assignment at you without going over any of the subject matter?.
Don't you just hate that. :roll:

actually thats what EXACTLY what she did :x

Binomial

When you have 2 possible outcomes of an experiment (say A and B) and you know their probabilities. then the probability of getting outcome A is P(A) and the probability of getting outcome B is P(B). Now since they are the only possible outcomes, the probability P(B)=1-P(A) and P(A)=1-P(B).

The binomial setup is when you run this experiment independently several times and you count to see how many times event A and event B pop up.

Suppose you decide to run the experiment N times and you want the probability that the event A will show up R times with \(\displaystyle R \le N\). It can be shown that this probability follows a binomial distribution and the value is:

\(\displaystyle {N \choose R} P(A)^RP(B)^{N-R}\)

The showing of why this works should be done by your professor.

In your case you had the guy asking some girls out (7 of them I think) and he will either fail or succeed each time. How does this apply?