spambots

galactus

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lately, I have noticed an inordinate amount of spam being posted by member names such as 'menssexualhealth' and 'adultsextoys'.

Spambots have become quite sophisticated, which leads me to blieve this is done by 'bots', not an individual, per se.

The system may be polluted with spyware. There is probably a way to eliminate this, but I am no expert.

Recently, I have gotten this when I try to log on:

"Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: User freemath_admin has already more than 'max_user_connections' active connections in /home/freemath/public_html/forum/db/mysql4.php on line 48

Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/freemath/public_html/forum/db/mysql4.php on line 330

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/freemath/public_html/forum/db/mysql4.php on line 331
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database"

Just a heads up. Maybe something to check out. Spyware can certainly cause trouble.

Ted, no doubt, you know more of computers than me, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

I've occasionally encountered the "too many connections" error, but I've always been able to get through by hitting "reload", so the error appears to be fairly transient.

The spam thing, on the other hand, is becoming quite an annoyance. The Admin knows, and spammers are being banned as they are encountered. With any luck, the usual pattern will be followed, and the spammers will move elsewhere after a short while.

Here's hopin'!

Eliz.

Good to hear. The error message is rather transient, as you said.

I am thinking 'bots' have something to do with the spam problem, though.

We'll see.

Another forum I frequent on occasion has a contributor who is a computer afficionado. He has stated that 'bots' are the issue. The thing is, he has enough 'know-how' to eliminate the problem. They do not have that issue on that site nor on the other sites I check out. It seems to be a problem here. That's why I believe there may be a spyware/spambot issue.

Among the sites I visit, I like this one the most.

Just concerned and trying to help.

I've seen identical spam postings, with the same usernames, on utterly unrelated forums, so your "bot" supposition might indeed be correct. Would there be any way you could put the Admin in touch with this other guy with the "know-how"...?

Eliz.

Like Stapel said, I would be interested in hearing how the problem was handled. I'm sure it's an automatic bot system that is posting all the junk everyday, and I would love to put an end to it.

Hopefully it's nothing too disruptive to the average user.

Ted

I have installed a new mod to the software that will hopefully cut down on the number of automatic registrations. It looks to see whether someone actually registered from the registration page (as opposed to automatically submitting the form), and it also checks to make sure the user took a realistic amount of time to submit the form.

Hopefully this will help!

Ted

Great Ted. I sent you and Stapel a PM regarding your query.