Why should we do all this studying?

elegantgem

I have studied this stuff for a long time and can never totally grasp it.
Was wondering if some of the more elite members could focus on what
is the reason for it. Mostly, trig, calculus etc. Basic stuff finance I understand.
Just thought it might be of value. Thanks

Since we have no idea what you are studying, what career path you are pursuing, nor what skills and/or knowledge you may need in your life, there is no way for us to quantify "why" you need the education you are getting.

If you don't want to do the math, then don't. But then don't complain about lost opportunities, either.

Eliz.

elegantgem said:
I have studied this stuff for a long time and can never totally grasp it.
Was wondering if some of the more elite members could focus on what
is the reason for it. Mostly, trig, calculus etc. Basic stuff finance I understand.
Just thought it might be of value. Thanks

Because when Verizon quotes you 0.002 cents you'll know you're being ripped off when they charge you $0.002 :wink:

Seriously though, there's a million answers to this question. Generally, for me at least, because its fun, challenging, and I'm more intelligent because of it!

Also, remember that what is "basic" to you may be "advanced" for others. When you take higher and higher level math courses, you'll see why you studied what you did in the past. Just like when you look back now and say.. "wow it has been very beneficial for me to learn how to basic algebra or even fraction arithmetic." Thats how it is for me, anyway.

Mathematics is the language of science. It is possible for people to live their lives without higher math, but if you want to learn about the world, math is essential.

In my view, the study of mathematics does several useful things that no other study can accomplish simultaneously:

The study of mathematics teaches one...
  • How to think.
    How to learn.
    How to organize thoughts.
    How to formalize inherent thinking.
    How to communicate a broader range of ideas.
    How to defend oneself against liars.
These are just a few that came immediately to mind.

tkhunny said:
How to defend oneself against liars.
galactus said:
Can you elaborate?
There's the proverbial "lies, damned lies, and statistics".

If one can't follow the math, one might be fooled by the "statistics" bit. :wink:

Eliz.

Oh yes, of course. I always heard that 'sayin' was attributed to Mark Twain. Sounds like something he'd say.

galactus said:
Mark Twain
Nah. Churchill.

Some people are heralded as great geniouses when they show simple algebra tricks. This can be exposed easily.

In the grocery store, the larger package is usually assumed to be the better deal. It isn't always. Simple arithmetic can save you from this one.

There is a whole breadth of junk science based on faulty mathemathics and questionable statistical methods. A little background can defend this.

Self-serving reactionaries can make wonderful claims. The astute student can see through many such claims.

Interest rates are a difficult issue. Who REALLY knows what is being paid and what should be paid? The U.S. State of Georgia used to have a law about interest rate terms. They were required to have available better terms for the consumer. They were NOT required to mention the availability. The astute student can understand the difference.

I received an entirely incorrect billing from a mortgage company. I proved them wrong and pursued it with my state's Attorney General's office. It was across states, so federal agencies became involved. I was right. I had the background. They apologized vigorously.

A doctor once tried to kill one of my kids. I drew the doctor some lovely graphs of sigmoidal dosage responses correlated with observable phenomena. He believed the authoritative representation of the situation and discontinued the supposedly innocuous medication.

The world is full of folks hoping to take advantage of others. A good background in mathematics is an exceptionally valuable tool against such.

Very good tkh, I see what you mean. It's nice when you surprise someone because they think most people are ignorant of the situation.

Off the subject of math but the same sort of thing:

It disgusts me to hear some 'blow-hard' spout off about what a great war hero they were, when actually they haven't even served in combat or even the military. I have heard this sort of BS many times. Recently, after listening to some yahoo go on about what a real-life Rambo he was during Vietnam, my brother said, "I served two tours over there, who were you with" (because he knew he was full of it). He tried to make up some silliness about the 71st Marines or whatever, but soon shut his mouth and walked off.

It is fun to see someone get caught up in their BS from someone who knows better.

Have a merry Christmas.