Find the Mode (Triangular distribution)

odumath

I'm stunned by the outcome for finding the MODE...

In a homework example, I have "damages" that are distributed as triangular(a=0,b=100,c=85). I'd like to find the mode...

The following answers are INCORRECT:
100 (because it's the peak)
(0 + 100 + 85)/3 = 185/3 = 61.67 ~ 62
(0 + 100 + 85)/2 = 185/2 = 92.5 ~ 93

Why aren't any of these 3 answers the correct answer? What is the correct answer?

odumath

In order to analyze the answers, it would probably help if we knew what the text of the question had been.

Thank you.

Eliz.

The CIO at a local university is trying to evaluate the risk of two security technologies for the high-security part of the university’s network (e.g. where your social security number and names are stored) based on $ damage associated with each technology. The technologies are: (T1) biometric authentication technology, and (T2) multiple login password technology. T1, the biometric technology makes the network very hard to penetrate. However, once a user is authenticated, the user is assumed to be totally trustworthy and is granted liberal access to all parts of the network. On the other hand, T2, the multiple login password technology creates layers or shells which are moderately hard to penetrate. As a result of such layers, a user has to do multiple logins to access various parts of the network. This variation between the technologies creates distinctly unique distributions of risk, as expressed in the distribution of their damages:

For T1, damages are distributed as Triangular(a=0,b=100,c=85)
For T2, damages are distributed as Triangular(a=20,b=100,c=60)

What is the mode for T1 and T2?

T1...????
T2 = 60

Why isn't T1's mode of either 100, 61.67, or 92.5 correct? I tried all 3 answers... they are all wrong (according to the solution guide I have).