probability that a chain five links long will break if it is

G

HI!
If a chain link is stressed over its reconmmended maximum limit, the probability that it will break is 0.7. What is the probability that a chain five links long will break if it is overloaded?

I thought it was like possibly .7*5, but its too big of a number -_-'
oh man, Im getting so confused by the different types of probability questions now!

Could you help me with this question? Thanks in advance

The probability it will NOT break is trivial. Figure that out instead. What do you get?

how would you do that? I know you have to use the odds but then do you multiply it be 5 (I dont think so, since it gives a larger number than 1) but I dont know what you would multiply it with.

Try exponentiation rather than multiplication.

Pr(Break) = 1 - Pr(Won't Break)

sorry, I really suck at the expoential method, so how would I do it? like .3*0 +.3*1..etc?? yea, Im not sure how I would do it that way/

Do you have a teacher? You need to have a serious chat with such an individual if one exists.

0.3^0 = 1
0.3^1 = 0.3
0.3^2 = 0.3*0.3 = 0.09
0.3^3 = 0.3*0.3*0.3 = 0.027

Are we ringing ANY bells here?

If you are unable to do simple exponentiation, you should not be in a statistics class. Sorry, I don't see any other way to read this one.

Ill see today. I dunno, we have just started to do expoential questions, so I still need to do more questions and review. Or maybe we havn't learned expoential questions, because when we usually do a chart with o,1,2,3, we multiple the prob. Ill check my notes, thanks.