requesting help with ln(x y^2 z^3 / w)^2

help

that is the whole problem.
I have to expand the logarithm. Write each as a sum, difference or product.
this is what I have so far

ln(2log(x)+4log(y)+9(z)/(divided by) w

Re: help

kp8179 said:
No, it isn't. There are some instructions in the problem set heading or the chapter heading.

ln(a*b) = ln(a) + ln(b)

ln(a^b) = b*ln(a)

How did you get logarithms INSIDE logarithms? Something wrong there.

help

I don't know what I am doing. I need serious help when it comes to math. Please help me.

ln[(xy^2z^3/w)^2]

If you don't know ANY rules, you need local help. We can't do it.

First, don't try to do it all at once. Tackle just one piece at a time.

I'll get you started.
ln[(xy^2z^3/w)^2] = 2*ln[(xy^2z^3/w)]

2*ln[(xy^2z^3/w)] = 2*ln[(xy^2z^3)] - 2*ln[w]

Now what?

Take another look. Nothing "cancels". Forget you ever heard that word. Follow the very few rules.

kp8179 said:
I have to expand the logarithm. Write each as a sum, difference or product.
Then the expression was not "the whole problem", since it came with instructions (which constituted the rest of the exercise).

kp8179 said:
I don't know what I am doing.
Since we cannot provide the missing classroom instruction (I'm guessing you were out sick those days), please consider studying some of the many online lessons available on the topic of "log rules".

Once you have studied a few lessons, so you have learned enough of the basic terms and techniques to get started, please attempt this exercise. If you get stuck, please reply showing all of your work and reasoning. Thank you.

Eliz.

kp8179 said:
I am taking this class online so i have no instruction.
There is no book, no online lessons, no tutor, and no teacher...? You just get e-mailed evaluations (homework, tests, etc) to complete...?

I certainly hope you're not paying for this "class" that no instructional materials whatsoever. But since you therefore need a real class, and since we cannot provide the missing classroom instruction you need, I'm afraid there is nothing we can do for you.

Please consider enrolling in a real school, with books and teachers and everything. My best wishes to you.

Eliz.

kp8179 said:
I am taking this class online so i have no instruction.
An obvious question comes io mind. For WHAT are you paying?

help

I received lectures by email that we print out. They show several examples on how to work problems. If the problems on the assignments are not similar to the examples then I don't know how to work them. I am not a math person to begin with but this class is making me feel really imcompetent.

I would suggest buying a textbook or outline to suppliment the examples you are given!

Checkout Schaum's Outlines Precalculus, I'm using that right now...its great.

kp8179 said:
I received lectures by email that we print out. They show several examples on how to work problems. If the problems on the assignments are not similar to the examples then I don't know how to work them. I am not a math person to begin with but this class is making me feel really imcompetent.
There is no substitute for a living, caring tutor/teacher.