What is the percent of female to male?

nkc0225

In a university, the total percent of student athletes that graduate is 52%, the total percent of male student athletes to graduate is 48%, and the total percent of female student athletes to graduate is 55%. What is the percent of female student athletes to male student athletes?

I am trying to use bar graphs, and ratios to find the answer, but I am confusing myself. Can anyone please explain to me how to go about finding my answer? Maybe show me a formula or something? I am not asking for the answer at all, just an explanation of how to get there.

nkc0225 said:
What is the percent of female student athletes to male student athletes?
Do you perhaps mean "the ratio of female to male", or "the number of females as a percentage of the number of males"...?

Thank you.

Eliz.

I'm sorry. I am trying to find the ratio of total females to total males.

Try setting up a grid:

Code:
      | male | fem. | total |
------+------+------+-------+
grad. |      |      |       |
flunk |      |      |       |
Let "f" be the total number of female athletes, and "m" be the total number of male athletes.

What would be the expression for "forty-eight percent of the male athletes graduate"? Insert that into the "male" column and the "grad." row.

Do the same for the percentage of female athletes that graduate, and for the percentage of all the athletes (f + m) that graduate.

Since the total is the sum of the parts, create an equation. Solve for "f/m". You should get a simple fraction.

Eliz.