home redecorating and planning problems

curiousbob

Here are some problems from my beginning algebra class.

For the first problem, I don't know what it's asking; I've never redecorated, so I don't know what the terms mean. (To avoid confusion, these are totally random problems and have nothing to do with my field of study.)

8.) Room to redecorate: 19' long by 14' wide with an 8' ceiling. The room has a door that measures 36" by 7' high and one window that is 36" high by 48" wide. You want to change the trim on the baseboards and put a crown molding at the ceiling/wall juncture. You have to buy full pieces of both kinds of trim.

a.) The baseboard trim comes in 7' lengths only... and costs $2.47 per piece. How much will new trim cost?

b.) THe Crown moulding costs 7.59 per 8-foot piece. How much will the crown molding cost?

For the second problem, I'm not sure if I did it right. It LOOKS right, but....

10) You are planning a party for 50 people and you need to decide to buy pizza wherever it is cheapest. When you checked prices, you found you could buy a medium pizza which weighs 18 ounces for $4.79 at pizza place #1. At Pizza place #2, you can get a large pizza which weighs 30 ounces for $6.29. Youve decided you need about 8 ounces of pizza for each person (about 3 slices) Assume you want to buy all your pizzas at the same place.

a.) How much will pizzas cost if you go to pizza place #1?

b.) What is the cost at pizza place #2?

c.) Where will you buy pizzas? Why?

Here's what I got for this one:

a.) $110.17

b.) $88.06

c.) Place B... because it's cheaper by $22.11

Thanks!

curiousbob said:
I've never redecorated, so I don't know what the terms mean.
You may never have done redecoration, but you know how to use Google and the dictionary.... :wink:

curiousbob said:
a.) The baseboard trim comes in 7' lengths only... and costs $2.47 per piece. How much will new trim cost?
What is the length of the "line" where the walls meet the floor? (Remember to subtract the width of the door.)

curiousbob said:
b.) THe Crown moulding costs 7.59 per 8-foot piece. How much will the crown molding cost?
What is the length of "line" where the walls meet the ceiling?

I can't tell, from what you've posted, what sort of trim you're supposed to use around the window or the door...?

curiousbob said:
For the second problem, I'm not sure if I did it right.
I get the same answers.

Note: You remembered that you can only order whole numbers of pizzas, so you rounded up on the numbers of pizzas to order. That's where many students get tripped up, either using decimal values or rounding down. Good job! :D

Eliz.

Denis said:
What grade are you in, Bob ?
College, however I am mathmatically challenged :\

stapel said:
I can't tell, from what you've posted, what sort of trim you're supposed to use around the window or the door...?
That's all the info they gave us.. to me it looked like they were missing something too.. But i figured I just overlooked it or something >.<

I could scan my worksheet and show you if youd like....Ok here i scanned it.

http://aycu01.webshots.com/image/12720/ ... 949_rs.jpg

I dont think i missed typing anything out...maybe they are assuming the trimming or whatever of the new stuff is the exactly the same size as the old stuff..

stapel said:
curiousbob said:
That's all the info they gave us....here i scanned it.
Actually, according to the scan, there are two other sections to this exercise. You need the information on the windows for the calculations related to painting the walls.

Eliz.

There are other pages to this 'project' but This is the only one with home redecorating..

page 1: Every student is required to submit this project as part of math 120.. etc. etc. Use included worksheet to show work, etc.

Page 2: Include work on the answer sheet.. These are everyday life and health occupation problems.. Hints and resources on page 12. Drug Calculations: problems 1-6

Page 3: *what is scanned above*

Page 4: Financing a car: problem 12.

Page 5: About drug calculations.... URLS.. Dimentional Analysis... medical examples

Page 6: Math skils review websites... medical abbreviations.. additioan conversion factors.

Page 7: About everday life problems... The remaining problems inolve redecorating a home.. planning a party.. and financing a car.. The forumulas and strategies for these are common and can be found on the web.

...and thats it.. I dont know why they say "see page 12" when there is no page 12. unless they meant page 6. Page 6 tells about the medical problems though.

and theres nothing written on the answering sheet.

----

edit: ok i figured it out.

Theres BASE board and CROWN board..

there is no trim around the window.

so i got that figured out ^^;;