Suggestion: A 'Favicon' for the forums pages

jwpaine

Hey Ted,

Can you give us a nice little favicon for the forums?

Maybe something like this:
pi.png

Something..would be cool

Cheers,
John.

If you type \(\displaystyle \pi \beta \gamma \alpha \) then you will get \(\displaystyle \pi \beta \gamma \alpha\).

That is much easier that having images that can become distorted.
I contribute to another site that does exactly what you suggest. But in my opinion it does not work well. Moreover, because that site does not offer LaTeX I think it is loosing members.

No...you have misunderstood. "favicon.ico" for the page URL icon for a website is explained here:

. . .Wikipedia: Favicon

Every decent website has one. :wink:

Cheers,
John.

jwpaine said:
Every decent website has [a favicon]
Sorry, John....I disagree. Perhaps it would behoove you to learn Tex or html....life ain't always easy. But, with a bit of persistence, there are ways to get your message across.

You two STILL aren't getting what I'm saying..

It has nothing to do with posting a message! It has nothing to do with a substitute for latex.

It's called a "favorite icon" that is an icon that you see in the browser's url: so when you drag it into your bookmarks or sidebar, you see the icon.

I'm not sure why this so hard to understand. :roll:

If you are not familiar with the term favicon.ico then I will give you a basic example: goto yahoo.com... see the little Y icon in the browser's URL? That's what I'm talking about....

I in NOW WAY want to be rude to the people who have helped me on this forum... but I would like to keep this thread for Ted, and not have every one hear jump on it because they are unfamiliar with the term.

Cheers,
John.

I know what you mean JW. I also have this site on my desktop and the present icon is just the Internet Explorer 'e'.

pka said:
If you type \(\displaystyle \pi \beta \gamma \alpha\) then you will get \(\displaystyle \pi \beta \gamma \alpha\).
You will get those characters within the page, in a forum posting, sure. But how would the above coding put a graphic icon in the user's browser location bar or in his "Favorites" list after bookmarking the site?

Mrspi said:
Perhaps it would behoove you to learn Tex or html.....
How could one use LaTeX affect the appearance of the "Go:" location bar at the top of the browser, or install a branding graphic next to a bookmark?

I've only ever heard of one way of working with the favicon: You create a graphic (a bitmap, usually), rename it from "whatever.bmp" to "favicon.ico", install the graphic in the correct location on one's server, and then insert the coding into the pages to call the image. Yes, the coding involves HTML, but not on the user's side, at least not that I've ever been aware of...?

Or can one hack pages using LaTeX, so you're thinking jwpaine could create a brand for Ted's site, and then hack into Ted's server and install it somehow...?

jwpaine said:
Every decent website has one.
Well, not every decent site has one, but it's so easy to do, and it can make your site (and bookmarked pages) "pop" for the user, that more and more sites are creating brands for the browser, in addition to the logos for the pages.

For instance, Wikipedia has its dark-gray "W" brand, Answers.com has its blue "A" with the "answer rays" (?) coming out, and even my site has a branding symbol suggestive of algebra. The Wikipedia favicon mimicks the "W" in its name-logo; the Answers.com icon is reminiscent of, but not identical to, the "A" in its name-logo; my icon has similar colors, and that's about the only connection to my logo. So there is lots of flexibility.

On the other hand, I don't know how well this forum's coding accepts additional commands (for instance, many forum scripts totally freak if you try to install ad-rotation coding), so it might be too much work to install an icon-call on these pages. Dunno.

Eliz.

Thanks for helping me explain, Stapel. I was getting a little worried people might be loosing it :shock:

For some very bizarre reason, my favicon for this site it the MMB logo. :?