Probability of an area touching another area.

calchere

There is a 100 square unit area. There is a 5 square unit area and a 30 square unit area within this 100 square unit area. So, the 5 square unit area makes up 5% of the area, and the 30 square unit area makes up 30% of the area. If the 30 square unit area moves, what are the odds of the 30 square unit area touching the 5 square unit area.

The problem arose from a video game. The 30% area are the bullets, and the 5% area is an obeject. This is all contained in the 100 square unit area. I'm trying to find the odds of the bullets hitting the object.

If the problem seems worded funny, it's because i made this problem up. I haven't taken a statistics class, so i do not know where to even begin. I was trying to explain something to my friends by using this example, but i need to know the odds.

If the problem needs any more explanation, i can provide it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't see how you could quantify the chance or odds of something like this happening. I mean, if the 30-square-unit area moves, then it might hit the other area, I guess. Who knows? How close is it to the other area? Do you have a picture/screenshot?

Here is an example of what i mean:

luckexamplesc7.png

The 30% area (blue) is random, depending on where the gun shoots. But it wall always cover the 10 units going down to up, because this is the direction the bullet travels. The object could be anywhere, but let's say it dosn't move. You shot that 30%, what are the odds that that 30% touches any part of the other 5%?

I may be off base here, but if the blue squares are grouped as such and can also go horizontal, then there are 16 possible positions. Of those, 7 will touch the red(assuming the red stays put). 7/16?

As I mentioned, I counted also if they could be horizontal. If not, then 3/8.