Quantitive Problem solving

rachy7

Can someone help me with this. I have no clue where to start.
Thanks, Rachel

Given: There are two companies that sell widgets. Both companies sell the widgets to the general public for the same price. In order to earn business, Company A offers a special 25% discount on each order. In response, Company B offers a 35% discount on every dollar the customer spends over $50. Both discounts are rounded to the nearest cent. If you place an order for $50 or less, it is less expensive to order from Company A. If you place a large enough order, it will be less expensive to order from Company B. At what price does it become less expensive to order from Company B?

Task:

A. You can estimate the answer by considering hypothetical orders and comparing the discounts each company would provide.

1. Create and properly label a table of data demonstrating this technique. The table should include at least four hypothetical orders and should estimate the answer within a $50 range. Each row will represent a hypothetical order. The first row will represent a $50 order and each additional row will represent orders in $50 increments (i.e., $100, $150). The table should include three columns. The first column is the order amount, the second column is the discount that Company A would give, and the third column is the discount Company B would give.

2. Specify the $50 range that the answer could be within.

3. Explain how you used your table to determine this.

B. Determine algebraically the actual price at which Company B offers you the same discount as Company A. Make sure to show all relevant work.

C. Determine the actual price at which Company B will give you a greater discount than Company A.

1. Explain how you reached this conclusion.

If you are unable even to get started on this algebra exercise, even with the formulas given and step-by-step instructions provided, then I'm afraid you likely need much more intensive assistance than we are able to provide. :oops:

(This exercise doesn't even use statistics; it uses only what you should have learned in the prerequisite courses.) :shock:

Please consider hiring a qualified tutor, local to your area, with whom you can meet a few hours a week in face-to-face sessions. With diligent effort, you may be able to learn the background algebra for this question inside just a few weeks! :D

Eliz.