exponential distribution: prob. that eqn x^2-bx+c = 0 has...

N1CKY

What is the probability the equation

x^2 - bx + c = 0

having two different and real roots if b and c are both independent quantity with exponential distribution with parameter m: f(x) = m*e^-mx

Note "e" is the Neper number 2.78.... and e^-mx = 1/e^mx

Could you please provide the EXACT wording of the question. This makes no sense at all.

Notes:

1) That's "Napier"
2) You seem to be showing \(\displaystyle \pi\), not e.

tkhunny said:
Could you please provide the EXACT wording of the question. This makes no sense at all.

Notes:

1) That's "Napier"
2) You seem to be showing \(\displaystyle \pi\), not e.

you are right i meant 2.78 not pi

Assume b,c are i.i.d. with the given exponential density. Consider the discriminant of the quadratic, then start with a conditional argument to obtain an integral.

royhaas said:
Assume b,c are i.i.d. with the given exponential density. Consider the discriminant of the quadratic, then start with a conditional argument to obtain an integral.

why don't u help me do that so i can solve the rest of my problems instead of posting them on forums

N1CKY said:
why don't u help me do that ...
The tutors will be glad to help you some more, but you'll need to reply with specifics. How did you interpret what they've already given you? What have you tried? How far did you get? Where are you stuck? What, exactly, is your question?

Thank you. :D

Eliz.

N1CKY said:
so i can solve the rest of my problems instead of posting them on forums
Solving on a public forum may help others!

royhaas said:

What is i.i.d. ? I am not american :(

N1CKY said:
What is i.i.d. ? I am not american
The abbreviation "IID" is not an Americanism, but is a standard notation in statistics, at least in the English-speaking world. The definition can be found many places online. :wink:

Note: If you are not familiar with English terms (and since your book is apparently not written in English), then you might find it more helpful to find a resource whose volunteers are conversant in whatever is your native tongue, or at least who speak the language in which your text is written, so that you and they will "be on the same page", so to speak, with respect to terminology. :D

Eliz.

royhaas said:
\(\displaystyle \L \underset{D\ \ }{\iint} me^{-mb} me^{-mc} \ dbdc\)

where \(\displaystyle \L D = \{\ (b,c)\ |\ b^2 - 4c > 0\ \}.\)

JakeD said:
royhaas said:
\(\displaystyle \L \underset{D\ \ }{\iint} me^{-mb} me^{-mc} \ dbdc\)

where \(\displaystyle \L D = \{\ (b,c)\ |\ b^2 - 4c > 0\ \}.\)

10x a lot. Now i see the big picture!