Cond. Prob: male/female, sterilization in developed world

mckenzierae

In the developed regions of the world, women constitute about 51% of the adult population. In these regions of the world 8% of women and 4% of men have been sterilized as a means of contraception.

a) What percent of adults in developed countries are men who have been sterilized as a means of contraception?

b) What percent of adults in developed countries are women who have been sterilized as a means of contraception?

c) What percent of adults in developed countries have been sterilized as a means of contraception?

d) If an adult in a developed country has been sterilized as a means of contraception, what is the probability that adult is a woman?

--So, I'm not quite sure why I'm so confused, I was understanding this yesterday and for some reason I can't quite get it.

I have:
F- Female
S- Sterilized

P(F)= .51
P(F)'= .49
P(S|F)= .08
P(S|F')= .04

But I don't know where to go from there. Help is MUCH appreciated!!!

\(\displaystyle \L \begin{array}{l}
a)\quad P(MS) = P(S|M)P(M) \\
b)\quad P(FS) = P(S|F)P(F) \\
c)\quad P(S) = P(SM) + P(SF) \\
d)\quad P(F|S) = \frac{{P(FS)}}{{P(S)}} \\
\end{array}\)

galactus said:
I am very sorry. I meant to 'quote' your post and apparently hit edit instead. :oops: :cry:

its okay, what the person said below you is how i started doing number one and two so i think thats right..

Re: A PM.
First I HATE private messages!
Say what you want in public!
mckenzierae said:
for d is it supposed to be P(F|S) of P(S|F)?
d) If an adult in a developed country has been sterilized as a means of contraception, what is the probability that adult is a woman?

If you can read, that statement says: P(F|S)!
We cannot be held responsible for reading skills.

pka said:
Re: A PM.
First I HATE private messages!
Say what you want in public!
mckenzierae said:
for d is it supposed to be P(F|S) of P(S|F)?

If you can read, that statement says: P(F|S)!
We cannot be held responsible for reading skills.

FIRST OF ALL- I DIDNT KNOW IF YOU WOULD READ IT IF I POSTED IT ON HERE
SECOND OF ALL- I JUST LEARNED THIS TODAY, I WASNT QUITE SURE HOW TO MAKE SURE ITS F|S BECAUSE ALL I WAS TAUGHT IS THAT IT SAYS GIVEN

mckenzierae said:
I DIDNT KNOW IF YOU WOULD READ IT IF I POSTED IT ON HERE
There is no paid staff waiting on-hand to provide instant replies, so sending private messages to one particular tutor (who may have gone offline for a few days, etc) is generally pointless. :oops:

To receive tutoring help, kindly post tutoring requests and replies openly to the tutoring forums, where the tutors can see them. Please restrict use of the private-messaging system to the sending of private (that is, off-topic, non-tutoring) messages. :wink:

Thank you! :D

Eliz.