The Cities of Truth and Lies: Choose the right path

Mustang1910

Everyone from the city of TRUTH always tells the truth. Those from the city of LIES always lie. When traveling to the city of truth a man comes to a fork in the road. A native of one of these cities is at the fork. The man can only ask ONE question. What question should the man ask to find out which path leads to the city of TRUTH?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: One Question

Mustang1910 said:
Everyone from the city of TRUTH always tells the truth. Those from the city of LIES always lie. When traveling to the city of truth a man comes to a fork in the road. A native of one of these cities is at the fork. The man can only ask ONE question. What question should the man ask to find out which path leads to the city of TRUTH?

This is a very famous riddle - do a google search - you'll find the answer.

Mustang1910 said:

[Sounds like one of the many examples from the series of books by Smullyan.]

How about asking him "Which road leads to your home?"

I guess you could ask what time it is, or what color is the sky.
But the correct anser is:
Ask the man "if i asked a person from the oppisite city that you are from if this path led to the city of truth, what would he say?"
then you just do the oppisite of what he says:)

4o4found said:
I guess you could ask what time it is, or what color is the sky.
But the correct anser is:
Ask the man "if i asked a person from the oppisite city that you are from if this path led to the city of truth, what would he say?"
then you just do the oppisite of what he says:)

You are assuming the person knows where the other road leads. Maybe he does, but its always best to have a minimal amount of assumptions when solving a problem.