need immediate help on solving x - 1 /5 = 6/1

nora

Hello everyone, I have never posted questions online like this so please be patient with me. I need help immediately on this problem. I have to solve:

x - 1 /5 = 6/1

Re: I NEED HELP ASAP

Is this your question:
\(\displaystyle \frac{x - 1}{5} = 6\)

or

\(\displaystyle x - \frac{1}{5} = 6\) ?

Using brackets help when you post questions so that you won't confuse those who are helping you:
ex.) (x - 1)/5 = 6 or x - (1/5) = 6 are clear

And finally, show your work first so that we can help you locate any errors (if any). Welcome to the forums!

Re: I NEED HELP ASAP

You typed "x - 1 /5 = 6/1".

That means \(\displaystyle x-\frac{1}{5}=\frac{6}{1}\).

Is that what you meant?

Or did the previous responder think that you meant (x-1)/5=6/1 which is as he/she stated \(\displaystyle \frac{x-1}{5}=\frac{6}{1}\)?

If you meant the former (as you typed it) then try multiplying both sides of the equation by the least common denominator of all fraction in the equation. In this case, multiply all terms by 5 which gives you 5x - 1 = 30. Then solve for x.

If it is the latter, again, multiply both sides of the equation by the lcd of all fractions. This would give you x-1 = 30. Then solve for x.

nora said:
I need help immediately on this....
I'm sorry, but, as the "Read Before Posting" thread that you read before posting the above pointed out:

[quote='Read Before Posting' author]Have patience. There is no paid staff waiting on-hand to give instant replies. Many of the volunteer tutors have "real" jobs, and they all have to sleep from time to time. The people "viewing" your posts may be fellow students. Please don't be offended if there are "views" but no replies. It may take hours, even days, for a tutor, qualified in your topic's area, to respond.[/quote]
Since you need immediate assistance, you probably don't want to use free tutoring services. You will probably need to contract with a service which offers "immediate" responses. It should be noted, however, that many sites purporting to offer that sort of service are fraudulent. It would likely be wise to use the credit card with the lowest credit limit and/or the strongest security features, to minimize your exposure.

My best wishes to you in your studies. :D

Eliz.