area question: 8-by-12 rectangle w/ circle inside

RockerChick

If the question shows an 8 by 12 rectangle with a circle in the middle, and they are asking for the area of the circle...how do you find that again?

RockerChick said:
If the question shows an 8 by 12 rectangle with a circle in the middle, and they are asking for the area of the circle...how do you find that again?
Without specific information regarding the relationship between the rectange and the circle (does the circle touch the sides, is it tucked into one corner, etc), there is no way to determine what the area might be. Sorry! :oops:

Eliz.

Yes the circle touches the top and bottom of the rectangle.
It is an 8 by 12 rectangle

and the answer choices are

(16)(3.14)

(20)(3.14)

(36)(3.14)

(64) (3.14)

(96)(3.14)

From your description of the diagram, it appears that the circle "just fits" within the width of the rectangle. The width of the rectangle is 8. Wouldn't that also be the diameter of the circle?

If you know the diameter of a circle, you should be able to find the radius.... d = 2r

And once you know the radius of the circle, you should be able to use the formula for the area of a circle to find the area.

If you don't know the formula for the area of a circle, you can use Google or other favorite search engine to search for

geometry formulas

RockerChick said:
they are asking for the area of the circle...how do you find that again?
Sarah2391: When you are looking for straightforward information, such as well-known formulas, you can try your textbook (the appendix or the endpapers are good places to check) or a quick web search:

. . . . .Google results for "area circle"

In order to be a successful learner, you really do need to start investing at least some effort into your studies. We don't say this to "attack" you, but, from decades of experience, to help you. Thank you for your understanding.

Eliz.

I completely agree, but when you get around 45-50 questions for homework, there just isn't enough time in the day to go through each one carefully

RockerChick said:
I completely agree, but when you get around 45-50 questions for homework, there just isn't enough time in the day to go through each one carefully

Then instead of going through those flippantly - don't do those and take the consequence.

I have to do them, and I want to learn them, but I need help..it doesnt come naturally to my head

RockerChick said:
there just isn't enough time in the day to go through each one carefully
It would have taken less time to do the Google search (or to flip through your book) than it did to post the question here. :roll:

Eliz.