Newspaper route: how many days to save $1000?

RockerChick

Dwayne has a newspaper route for which he collects k dollars each day. From this amount he pays out
k/3 dollars per day for the cost of the papers, and he saves the rest of the money. In terms of k, how many days
will it take Dwayne to save $1,000 ?

(a) k/1,500

(b) k/1,000

(c) 1,000/k

(d) 1,500/k

(e) 1,500k

Please show how to solve...my inclination is to plug in a number for k...and then solve that way, but it didnt seem to work

Re: Newspaper route

RockerChick said:
Dwayne has a newspaper route for which he collects k dollars each day. From this amount he pays out
k/3 dollars per day for the cost of the papers, and he saves the rest of the money. In terms of k, how many days
will it take Dwayne to save $1,000 ?

(a) k/1,500

(b) k/1,000

(c) 1,000/k

(d) 1,500/k

(e) 1,500k

Please show how to solve...my inclination is to plug in a number for k...and then solve that way, but it didnt seem to work

Dwayne takes in k dollars per day, but he must pay k/3 dollars each day for the papers. So, the amount he actually earns is

k - (k/3) dollars each day.

Write k as 3k/3, and subtract:

(3k/3) - (k/3) = (2k)/3

Dwayne's net earnings for one day is (2k)/3 dollars.

Dwayne would like to make $1000. How many days will it take?

Let x = number of days to make $1000

He makes (2k)/3 dollars each day for x days, and this should be $1000. So,

(2k)/3 *(x) = 1000

Can you solve this for x?

If not, please repost showing each step you took to solve (2k)/3 * (x) = 1000. When we can see your work, we can better determine how to help you.

RockerChick said:
Please, Sarah2391, show your work. Saying you tried something "but it didn't seem to work", and always requiring us to complete your flood of exercises, is not likely to be successful in the long term. Please help us help you: Participate in the process!

Thank you for your consideration.

Eliz.