one train goes west at 130 kph. 3 hrs later, another....

gdome

I don't think this problem has enough information to come up with an equation. A passenger train leaves a train station traveling west at 130 km/hr. Three hours later, a freight train leaves the same station, traveling west at 160 km/hr. How many hours will each train travel before the second train catches up with the first?

Help me. I been at it for hours trying to figure this one out...

Re: Hard word problem...

Distance = rate X time

In 3 hours the first train goes 390 km. At that time the second train leaves. Let t represent the time it takes for the second train to catch up with the first train. Make a sketch. The distance from the starting point to the point where the 2nd catches the 1st is the same and therefore is the basis for an equation.
..................139t...........................390
<------------------------------------|--------------|
<---------------------------------------------------|
..........................160t

Can you take it from there?

I don't think this problem has enough information to come up with an equation. A passenger train leaves a train station traveling west at 130 km/hr. Three hours later, a freight train leaves the same station, traveling west at 160 km/hr. How many hours will each train travel before the second train catches up with the first?

Draw a vertical line representing the Distance axis, D, and a horizontaal line representing the Time axis, T.

From the origin, draw a line upward to the right representing the passenger trains movement and having a slope of 390/3 = 130 km/h. The equation of this line is D = 130T.

From the point T = +3 on the time axis, draw another line upward to the right representing the freight trains movement and having a slope of 160 km/h. Extending this line back to the D axis, we find that the D intercept of the trains movement is 3(160) = - 480.The equation of the trains movement is D = 160T - 480.

You now have the graphic representation of both trains movement.

Dp = 130T
Df = 160T - 480

Since Dp = Dt when they meet, I leave it for you to complete.

Another way:
when train2 leaves, it's 390 km behind train1 (since train1 travelled 3 hours @ 130kph)

to catch up, train2 has to make up this 390 km, at net speed of 30kph (160 - 130)

How long does that take?