My Study strategy: making math fun

horseluvr84

Heres my favorite strategy-

Making math fun
the Bottom line- use your favorite things to make easy math problems, that help you study. A couple a day are good! Keep checking back, i will add more!

If you like sports, read this-
In sports, there is a scoreboard right? Well, there are math problems you can do, like, this one * " At a soccer game, the Home team scores a total of 13 goals. Each goal is worth 5 points . How many points does this team have? if the opposing team has 34 points, who won?

If you like Candy read this-
Candy stores dont let you have candy for free. You buy it. There are math problems you can solve this way like this * " A girl went to the candy store to buy 6 and a half pounds of candy. Each pound costs 2.40. How much money does she spend?

If you like shopping lists, read this-
Bob's shopping list was as the following " Oranges, 1.67, milk 5.68, honey 8.98, crackers 6.78 a package (we need 2 packages)
How much does he spend? If the tax is 3.78, now how much does he spend?

And so on...........

horseluvr84 said:
I am in 5th grade, why?

Because It's nice to know that students of your age are so dedicated to their studies!
Keep up the good work! :D

Here is one for you: You have 10 loafs of bread. You use a knife and cut each loaf 8 times. How many slices of bread are there total? Think logically about how many slices you will get with each cut.

Cheers!

------|------ : 1 cut = 2 pieces
----|----|---- : 2 cuts = 3 pieces
---|---|---|--- : 3 cuts = 4 pieces
So: always 1 more piece than the number of cuts. Kapish?

horseluvr84 said:
If you cut one loaf 12 times, you'd get 13 pieces right?
Assuming the cuts to be parallel slices, yes.

On the other hand, suppose you grab another loaf of bread. Make one cut down the middle (lengthwise) from top to bottom. Make a second cut through the middle (heightwise) from left to right. Make a third cut through the middle (depthwise; that is, between the front and back faces) from left to right.

With only these three cuts, how many pieces will you have? :wink:

Eliz.