Finding the point estimate in favor, given sample values

lexken

I am having trouble with find the point estimate. Here goes nothing...

In a Gallup poll, 491 randomly selected adults were asked whether they are in favor of the death penalty for a person convicted of murder, and 65% of them said that they are in favor. Find the point estimate of the percentage of adults who are in favor of this death penalty.

I'll be honest the problem I'm having is I don't understand how to work the problem. I don't understand statistics at all.

491 survey size
65% in favor

0.51 + 0.49 = 1

1/2 = .5

Answer = .5 is the point estimate

lexken said:
In a Gallup poll, 491 randomly selected adults were asked whether they are in favor of the death penalty for a person convicted of murder, and 65% of them said that they are in favor. Find the point estimate of the percentage of adults who are in favor of this death penalty.
Hint: Review the definition! The "point estimate" is the single value (the "point"), derived from a sample of a population, that is used as a proxy for (to "estimate") the value of the entire population. :wink:

lexken said:
I don't understand statistics at all.
Since we cannot provide course instruction within this environment, if you are needing to use statistical tools in your studies (or work) and have no understanding of the topic, your best bet would be to enroll, as soon as possible, in a statistics course. Your local college or university should be able to advise you on this. :idea:

Good luck! :D

Eliz.