Graduate School? Why did you go? What did you study? Etc.

daon

For those who toughed through grad-school (mainly referring to Math, but any subject really)... I'm debating if/when I should go and what in the world I want to study. Lots of anxiety here! So I was wondering how others' experiences were... I'd like to know...

- Why did you go?
- What did you study, why did you study it, and when did you know that was what you wanted to study?
- Did you feel you were well-prepared and did you consider your knowledge of the various branches of Math well-rounded?
- Anything else about your experience... ranging from the application process to research to your dissertation to anything.

Re: Graduate School?

Hey Daon. I am starting grad school this fall to pursue my masters in applied math. They have anice program at IUP(Indiana University of Pa.). I am doing it so I will be qualified to teach fulltime if I so choose. Also, lots of jobs in the private sector. If you can swing it, it is definitely worthwhile. Wrting a thesis is what concerns me the most.

galactus said:
Hey Daon. I am starting grad school this fall to pursue my masters in applied math. They have anice program at IUP(Indiana University of Pa.). I am doing it so I will be qualified to teach fulltime if I so choose. Also, lots of jobs in the private sector. If you can swing it, it is definitely worthwhile. Wrting a thesis is what concerns me the most.

Good for you! Hopefully we will still see you post often on the forums! :D

John

Thats great galactus. I think I'm leaning more towards pure Math, though no idea what yet. Any idea what you'll be researching or what level you want to teach?

I will be doing my masters in applied math. As far as a level of teaching, I will probably teach at the community college where I am now. I like it there.