Graphing an equation. Y= 2^x

May I ask what the problem is?. Just graph it.

Attachments

• graph.jpg
    graph.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 513
FantastalisticJonas said:
Can you tell me how to graph this equation?

Y = 2^x

What method have you been taught?

Are you allowed to use a calculator - a computer?

Well, I'm a seventh grader and this is my first year of Algebra. I just don't understand it and don't know where to start. I didn't ask for the answer, I'm trying to understand how to do it. =]
And yes, I'm allowed to use a calculator.

FantastalisticJonas said:
Well, I'm a seventh grader and this is my first year of Algebra. I just don't understand it and don't know where to start. And I didn't ask for the answer, I'm trying to understand how to do it.

Have you been taught any method - like say - making x-y tables?

Ohhhhh..... sorry! I didn't realize that the x as the exponent was actually the x coordinate. The equation just looked confusing. I think I got it. Thanks!!!!! :D lol

jramirez23 said:
That means that your graph is wrong.
Very nice. Your assessment is incorrect.

Back in the old days - pencil and paper - whenever I would draw such a graph, it would look EXACTLY the same as the previous one. No matter what it was:

y = 2^x
y = 3^x
y = 5^x
y = 1.2057^x
y = pi^x

As long as it was y = (Positive Real Number)^x, I just drew what you see from galactus. Then, I would label three points. Let's say the Positive Real Number is 'a'. I would plot (1,a), (0,1), and (-1,1/a). They were in the exact same place every time. I'm just changing the scale of the y-axis. Of course, this requires a slight variation for a < 0 and another variation for y = -(a^x), but these are very, very tiny differences. I'm pretty sure the point of graphing is to understand the function. Demonstrate understanding and you should be done.

tkhunny said:
As long as it was y = (Positive Real Number)^x, I just drew what you see from galactus.

I'm sure that tkh meant y = (Positive real number > 1)^x

Correction admitted. Many thanks. That's why authors have editors.

Without that, it would require a bit more imagination on the scale. :)